School Festival: Sports Club

Ayoshi was drying his hair after showering after gym class. 'Mother gave me extra pocket money today, I can buy a few extra strawberry mi-'

"Ayoshi-kun!" Aso ran up behind Ayoshi, throwing his arm over his shoulder. "I have awesome news!"

"Mm?"

"The Student Council assigned you to help the Sports Club! Are you excited?" Aso asked with a big smile.

"Yes. What is your club doing?"

"We're opening up the pool for the kids visiting. We'll have stuff for them to use and play with. So make sure to change into your swimming trunks before coming over to the pool."

***

After changing, Ayoshi walked to the pool area. A bunch of kids ran past him with laughter. They were all wearing their swimsuits and a few wore arm floaties. When he arrived, Aso stood before a group of kids.

"Ok guys, you're going to be divided into two groups to play volleyball. Whichever team wins gets a goody bag. However, don't be discouraged if your team loses. You can play as many times as you want."

"Yay!"

When Aso noticed Ayoshi, he handed off the kids to another club member and walked over. "Hey! I didn't want to leave you alone today and since you can't swim, we're just going to be doing some simple things." He grabbed Ayoshi's hand, leading him to a small inflatable pool. "For the younger kids, we set this up for them. None have arrived yet, but when they do, we'll be watching over them. We're going to be making goody bags, inflating balls, and floaties." He took out two foldable chairs, gesturing for Ayoshi to sit.

"Thank you," Ayoshi said, sitting down.

Aso sat down next to Ayoshi and handed him a floaty. However, before they could even start, a mother brought over her three-year-old toddler. He took the boy in his arms, "Thank you for entrusting us with your child. We'll make sure he has a fun time today." He looked over at Ayoshi. "Can you get that bag and take out the wristbands?"

Ayoshi did as instructed and took out two plastic wristbands, understanding what Aso was doing for the children's safety. "What is your and your child's name? We also need your number." After writing down the information, he put one on the child and one on the mother.

"Thank you. As soon as he heard about the pool he begged to come over, but I have three other kids who want to play games, so seeing how you guys are putting in such precautions, I feel at ease."

"Of course! Have a fun day, ma'am," Aso said. The woman gave her son a kiss and soon left. He sat the kid in the pool, gave him some small balls, and put in swimming fishes. He squatted and smiled with gentle eyes at the kid splashing around with loud giggles.

Ayoshi tilted his head, "You like kids?"

"I love them! They're so cute and innocent. I'm an only child and I've always wanted a big family. I can't wait to have kids of my own in the future."

"I'm also an only child," Ayoshi said, squatting next to him.

Aso's eyebrows jumped up, "Really? Was it lonely?"

Ayoshi shook his head, "No... I got used to being alone."

"It was lonely for me." Aso frowned, "When my parents were away, I always had to find a way to entertain myself in my empty, quiet house. I had friends at school, but at that age, my parents didn't like me going to other people's houses. They could only come over to ours, but they were never there, so how could friends come over?"

"What is their job?"

"They're both police officers, so their busy schedules and overprotectiveness made life very isolating. That's why I got into sports. Being a part of those teams gave me a sense of community and family. I started just to have something to do with other people, but I fell in love. That's why I want a family and to give kids a warm home, so they don't have to feel like I did."

"You want to adopt?"

Aso threw a ball at the kid, which he caught and threw back at him. "Yeah... like I was." He glanced over at Ayoshi, blushing, "I just have to secure that partner to do it with."

Before Ayoshi could respond, a sharp scream pierced their ears. Zametora rushed over with a little girl in tow. "President, she won't stop crying."

Tears streamed down her red flushed face. "I-I!"

"Hey, hey, hey, don't cry." Aso bent down, "What happened?"

"M-my te-team lost! I wanted to win!" She yelled.

Aso tried to speak, but her cries were so loud he couldn't get a word in. He looked back and forth between the little girl and Zametora, both of them having a panicked look on their face.

"Enough!" Everyone paused and the little girl's screams stopped. "Your team lost?" She nodded. "Do you think crying is going to change that?" She shook her head. "Your other team members are also sad, but do you see them crying?" She shook her head. "No, they're out there trying again, having fun. Do you have a towel somewhere?" She nodded. "Go get it." She ran off and brought the towel, handing it to him. He bent down and wiped away her tears and snot. "It's ok that you lost, you can always try again. What's important is that you had fun and you had fun, didn't you?"

She sniffled and mumbled, "Yeah."

"Then go out there, have more fun and if you lose again, it's ok. Sometimes you have to do things multiple times before you achieve your goal."

She rubbed her eyes, turning her frown into a determined smile. "Yeah! I'll make you proud, mister!" She ran full speed to her team.

Zametora clapped his hands together and gave Ayoshi a small head bow. "Thank you so much, Aishi-kun!"

"Mm," Ayoshi turned to look at Aso.

Aso's heart raced, his eyes wide. He took a shaky breath, "You were amazing."

"Sometimes you have to be firm."

Aso sighed, eyes downcast. "I failed so miserably. How will I ever be a good father?"

Ayoshi rubbed Aso's head, "Aso, you're a very kind and fun person." He gestured towards the toddler, who still happily played in the kiddy pool. "You have a good heart. You'll be an amazing father in the future. Don't be discouraged."

Aso looked into Ayoshi's eyes, intertwining their fingers. "You will too."

Ayoshi paused for a second. "I've never thought about having kids."

"Why?"

Ayoshi looked away, "I don't want them to turn out like me."

Aso clenched his fist, "Well, I lo-like you the way you are! I think it would be great to have a mini you running around."

Ayoshi looked at the little boy trying to grab the mechanic fish and then at the little girl laughing with her teammates. "Maybe it wouldn't be so bad. I hope to find someone to do that with."

Aso wrapped his arm around Ayoshi's waist, pulling him in close. He looked down at Ayoshi with love-filled eyes. 'I already have...'