The pain of the past is overcome

Narin couldn't believe her ears. Is my cage door really open? Or am I being cunningly lured into a trap? She couldn't help but think and thus couldn't rejoice. First, she looked at İsmail, then at the Poet, and then at Behram and Kadir, who came running when the door opened. The joy sparkling in all their faces heralded her freedom. She inhaled the scent of lilacs that reached her nose. She would be able to enjoy the taste of the stream, barely visible, the mountains with melted snow, and their green slopes; she would be able to pet the lambs and goat kids in the grazing herds, live the green, flowery beauty of late May freely, not be afraid, and most importantly, read. She wanted to hug İsmail, the Poet, and Kadir, but she was too shy to do so...

Three days had passed since she received the good news. Even just three days of living freely, without fear, always on edge, and in suspicion, had done Narin good; although she still bore the marks of her suffering, the blood in her veins began to flow with a roaring joy of life, her face had colored, her eyes started to shine with green glints, and she had become more beautiful. She no longer needed to hide that small digital document there. She took it out. But despite everything, she needed to keep and protect the document well. She made a small extra pocket inside her printed dress, placed the tiny digital disk there, and sewed the pocket's mouth shut. She wanted to go outside, feel the burning sun on her body, and pet the goat kids in the herds returning before evening. With Avşin's help, she stepped out the door. As soon as she appeared at the door, Zeytin came running, wagging its tail. Avşin rolled the log standing by the wall to bring it for Narin to sit on, and he himself perched on the step of the stairs. A sweet breeze was gently caressing the trees, the grass, the mud-roofed houses, and their faces. The sky was blue, the sun was shining brightly, the air was clean. Narin took a deep breath; like before, she would be able to watch the stars tonight and confide in them.

The Poet, who was wandering around the village taking photos, came to them when he saw them and asked for permission to take their pictures. Since neither of them responded, he assumed he had permission and started pressing the shutter. Avşin was embarrassed, covering her face with her headscarf, turning her head, and facing away. Narin smiled at Avşin's behavior. The Poet, pleased with the smiles on the sorrowful, newly healing face, was delightedly photographing the two women and constantly murmuring:

"Your smiling face / Surpasses the sorrows of the past / Changes itself to tomorrow."

When Narin asked, "Who wrote that?"

"Gülten Akın... Smiling Face... I thought it suited you very well... You will overcome the sorrows of the past, right?" replied the Poet.

While petting and caressing Zeytin, who was rubbing against her legs and acting spoiled, Narin looked at the Poet with a green smile in her eyes, as if saying, "I will try." That look, that green smile, left the Poet with sweet shivers. He couldn't get enough of looking at Narin.

Soon, Behram came over with a stool in his hand. The elbows of his jacket were so worn out they were about to tear, and he took off the knitted cap on his head. Then, he took out a handkerchief-like cloth from his back pocket and wiped the sweat from his head and face, and after airing his head a bit, he put his cap back on. Shortly after, Cemal and İsmail also arrived. Seeing İsmail, Narin's heart fluttered slightly; she fixed her hair and wanted to look good for him. İsmail smiled slightly, first nodding at Narin and then at the others. Cemal, standing up from his seat, did not allow Behram, who tried to give up his seat, to get up. "I see everyone is in good spirits," he said, joining the conversation, but Cemal's presence caused a quiet unease. After all, he was a commander and considered the state. When dealing with him, one had to be careful, formal, and respectful, and not too familiar. Narin noticed İsmail's furtive glances and, not being disturbed by them, returned them with her own furtive glances. But İsmail, despite wanting to very much, hesitated to go further, to get closer; something was holding him back.