Time to Go

Narin, like the cypress tree she leaned against, stood tall and straight in the harsh cold of winter nights, the chill of days, amidst snow and ice, without bending her dry branches. In spring, when the sap began to flow again, she would stand upright and straight once more, with fresh green leaves, more vibrant and livelier, rejuvenated. She was on the verge of stepping into the life she longed for, with her renewed hopes. Her heart was pumping the life-giving water into her lonely, desolate, barren body with joyful flutters, and, like the lilac flowers blooming in front of Behram's house, she was thinking about the dream she had at night while waiting for the helicopter, trying to decipher and understand it.

When she saw the helicopter approaching with its distinctive noise, she shook off her thoughts and wondered, "Why don't they make planes that can shape their wings according to the flight pattern of birds - for takeoff, landing, gliding, speed?" She was surprised to be thinking about science and technology after such a long time; this was a good sign, she was recovering, and she felt happy.

The helicopter landed, engulfing the surroundings in dust and smoke. Its rotor, spinning with a sound akin to a giant heart beating rapidly in a storm, continued to turn. Narin slowly straightened up, separating herself from the cypress tree she was leaning against, and walked towards Şair who came to help her, leaning on her cane. Suddenly, she paused as if she had forgotten something and turned back. She gazed up and down at the cypress tree one last time. It seemed to be bidding her farewell with its rustling leaves. Then she looked for her father's house, and it seemed she saw her mother in front of the earthen-roofed house. With a barely audible, trembling voice, she said, "Goodbye!" and waved faintly with her right hand. Şair took her arm, and they began walking towards the helicopter. Şair joked, "What is it? Are you sad because you're leaving?"

That's when it happened, the sound of dozens of 'Kalashnikovs' firing mixed with the rotor and engine noise. A rain of bullets began, the likes of which had never been seen before. As the sun was about to set, muzzles spewed fiery deaths. Şair had taken Narin's place with her broken left leg, running towards the helicopter, escaping death. Just as they were about to reach it, Narin was shaken by an unbearable pain in her back. A bullet pierced through her skin, tearing and shredding her flesh inside, extinguishing her budding hopes for the future like a weak, flickering candle flame snuffed out by the wind. Her strength depleted, her supporting right leg gave way. Her thick black hair fluttered in the air, and with a painful scream, she collapsed to the ground. With the sound of the frenzied rotor and bullets in her ears, she was drawn towards a dark point. She was breathing, but the air she inhaled seemed to pass through her lungs without filling or circulating within them. With one last effort, she tore the tiny digital disk from the small pocket of her traditional dress and, with pain-filled eyes she managed to open, looked at Şair and said in a barely audible, trembling voice, "What's inside this is very important, Şair, you're a journalist, watch, listen, and please do what's necessary, avenge me, this is my last request, promise me you'll do it." Şair responded, "I promise, I'll do it, we'll avenge you together, don't worry," and a gratitude filled with pain flickered on her face as she collapsed into Şair's arms.

Şair, with Narin in his arms, was trying to reach the helicopter while shouting to Ismail, "Cover us!" Just as they were about to board the helicopter, Şair, with a loud curse, was shaken, fell to his knees but did not drop Narin. Ismail shouted, "He's hit, get them quickly." First, they took Narin into the helicopter, then Şair. Cemal's voice could be heard even amidst the noise: "Crossfire! Run!" "Get up! Get up!" "Quick, take off!" "Keep firing!" As bullets rained from above and below, they took off. When the pilot looked at Narin and asked with his eyes, "Who is she? What's her story?" Cemal shouted back:

"From the village... A poor girl... Very smart... She will study!"

Kadir warned the pilot, "We have wounded, let's get to the hospital."

Narin lay motionless,Kadir by her side, his eyes filled with fearful, pleading looks, feeling thefaint warmth of her breath on his face, doing everything he could to keep thatbreath from stopping, praying all the while. After tending to Narin, he lookedat Şair's leg; it was bleeding. A bullet had grazed the back of his thigh justabove the knee. He applied a bandage and reassured Şair, "There's nothingto worry about," but Kadir was not at ease. Narin did not look well andneeded to be taken to the hospital as soon as possible...