The Halls of the Woodland Realm

"Would you like to play a game of questions?"

Fíli was a little stunned by the meekness in her voice, and the request which had come up in the silence of their imprisonment. What sort of game was she wanting to play? Firiel felt her heart pounding. What a stupid idea! How childish was it, to make it a game instead of just asking?

"What do you mean?" he asked her, "What sort of game can you make out of asking questions? How do you play?"

Firiel laughed, instantly relieved. It was dumb, but at least he indulged her.

"I used to do this with my siblings. You and I simply ask each other questions," she explained, "Back and forth, one at a time, the other person has to answer to the best of their abilities. Or they can pass, and pay the penalty. I know it's not much, but, if we're stuck here, we may as well get to know one another. It seems more fun than playing "I Spy".You could ask me anything at all, even the most ridiculous question you could ever think to ask someone."

"Anything?"

The intrigue and excitement in his tone should have made her nervous, but if anything, it made her giddy.

"Anything. My brother once asked if we'd prefer to sleep in the stable with horses, or cows in the field."

"Obviously the field," Fíli answered immediately, "There'll be space, and cows mostly leave you alone."

"That's what I said! My siblings didn't want to get rained on."

"What's the penalty for passing? I can't exactly give you a spanking from here."

Firiel barked out a laugh, "You'd enjoy that too much. We used to trade chores and treats when I was a little girl."

"Alright, then how about this?" she heard Fíli shifting into a more comfortable position as he spoke, "There'll be shares of treasure at the end of all this, if we ever get out of here. Each pass, the asker gets a pick from the passer's share. Deal?"

"....Deal."

"Alright, you first."

Firiel pondered for a moment, but then a question came to her.

"Who taught you how to fight with two swords?" she started out, "Knives, I would understand, but swords are usually impractical. It's an unusual skill, and you're actually effective at it."

"Balin," he replied easily, "He saw that I had my father's gait, and told Thorin it would be wise to teach me how to fight like him. It was a style that apparently suited my father well, and it came very naturally to me. He knew it better than Thorin, so he taught me what he could. The rest I picked up, like how a dwarven short sword is the biggest you can go before things get burdensome."

"Wow," she murmured, "What was your father like?"

"Ah, ah, ah," Fíli chided playfully, "It's my turn...Where were you born?"

"Bree," she replied, "In a little house not far from the market. I was the first of three children. ...Where were you born?"

"Ered Luin, in the Blue Mountains," he said, "My mother gave birth to me under a full summer moon, and she tells me it was one of the most beautiful nights she had ever witnessed."

They went back and forth for a while, asking each other light questions. Fíli's favourite colour was violet, so deep and regal and expensive he'd only seen it on Thorin and his mother. Firiel had no favourite colour, though she had a weakness for bright ones. Kíli was Fíli's only sibling, and Firiel told him about the twins, Meriam and Maude. Fíli had wondered what on Earth possessed her parents to name her brother Meriam. Fíli's favourite food was probably fresh fish, which was rare and hard to come by in the mountains. Firiel loved the taste of strawberries and cream, all made from scratch in the spring.