Chapter One

JUNE, 2029

I have on cheap perfume, and I actually can't really stand the scent of it because it was too far off of what I actually liked. I stare at myself at my vanity mirror and I just tell myself that everything is going to be okay. I knew that, in spite of the empty space on my bed. And when I look behind me, I just know that this doesn't feel right and that something awful is going on.

I sit at my vanity at two in the afternoon, and I expect a call on my phone. But somehow I have to do all of this on my own. And I'm not going to be weak when things turn into this. But I'm not dumb when it comes to my husband's disappearance. I know exactly who is behind it. It's been two weeks and still no sign of Christopher.

I've been to the police, I've gone to friends and family. I'm in therapy because I'm not okay especially after everything that went down between my uncle who tried killing me. And my cousin, Moon, she walks out there free. The police told me after everything that Moon probably didn't survive the bullet. But I felt that Moon was out there and that she was waiting to strike. And Christopher was just the easy target. But the police say there's no evidence that it's Moon and they think Christopher walked away and left on his own. But I know him. There's no way that he would leave me and our kids like this. It's not him to be like that. And then his phone off. But then the police say there's a potential that Christopher could be having an affair and it's normal for husbands to stray. But that, I know isn't Christopher. We been married for six years, and I know that that isn't true. That's the police making up excuses not to do their jobs and not look for him.

    The law enforcement has never brought justice to those people who are missing. But I know my estranged psychotic cousin, Moon Parks is the cause of my husband's disappearance. I know she probably stalked him and took him, knowing her. She loved chasing people. Her father, my dad's crazy evil twin brother was the same. He got off on doing things like that.

     I'm not ready to live the life terrified something is happening to Christopher. While the police sit back and do nothing. I have two daughters to take care of and I'm four months pregnant with our son. And I need Christopher here. But without him it's so hard not to worry about him. And every time I think about him, I know it's making me vulnerable and unable to do anything without him here.

I hear the sudden sound of a car door shutting. And I wipe the reminder of tears. And I slowly get up, and I walk over to the window and I see Lara Jean's Nissan sitting out there. I see her with her hair tied back, and she is coming right for the door. And I decide to go right out of my room, and I head right for the stairs and I hear the doorbell ring. And that's when I reach the bottom of the landing and I make it to the door, opening it to see Lara Jean's face.

I see her looking sadder than ever. And of course, I pull her right in for a hug. Lara Jean and Victoria have been here for me with all of this. I still haven't told Colleen about Christopher yet. But I need to. But I need to process all of this and figure out what I'm going to do. I mean, I'm planning to tell Colleen when I get the courage to get on my phone and actually tell her that her son is missing. With her being in Napa, it's just hard to tell her. But I will definitely tell her, but when I know I can. The last time I spoke to Colleen was three months ago when Christopher and I told her that she was going to be a grandmother again, and it was on a FaceTime video call. It will be so hard to call her alone and give her the news she should never have to hear.

I had seen Lara Jean just walk in as I invited her. I was certain she'd be with Ty back at the house with her kids. She has a three month old baby girl and two sons, a seven year old and a four year old. So I wouldn't expect her to come here. But Victoria I would expect because she's always dropping by lately.