{.|.. Why do we Live This Way? ..|.}

WARNING: Very unhappy ending!
Keep reading if your down for angst 🤑

Dandy's eyes scanned the group with a cheerful but soulless expression.
The seven all stood there awkwardly, passing glances from each other to the useless wares on the table. Gumballs, speed candy, and a protein bar...

After what felt like years of unnerving silence, Dandy finally broke the silence in his usual happy tone
"Short of tapes? Hehe.. Yeah. I get it." He said before pausing, waiting for a response "...You all seem busy in your own worlds.. I guess I'll leave you to your thoughts! Farewell for now.."

Before pulling the lever, Dandy turned his head and took a glance over at Boxten.
That look in his eyes.. What was it? Sadness? Stress? Irritation? Something worse?..
A shiver went up Boxten's spine. Dandy waved to the crew before pulling the lever and descending back down with his shop.

"So weird, right?" Brightney loudly whispered to Tisha, almost as if she was afraid Dandy was somehow still here and listening.
"I know.." Tisha shuddered "He's a nice guy but.. Something's just not right."

Boxten thought on their conversation. Maybe something wasn't right...

"Hey guys! Let's not be so glum yet! It's only the second floor now, we're all gonna be okay!" Poppy reassured the group, earning a smile from Goob. Boxten felt himself grow less tense with her words.

If something wasn't right after all, it'd be okay.
Poppy would be there.

...

Multiple hours of running, hiding, exploring, and scavenging passed.
They'd been down there for a longer time than Boxten would have preferred, but he couldn't do anything about it anyways, the others all agreed to push on. To all their regrets, they lost Brightney and Tisha. Tisha fell victim to a twisted and Brightney couldn't make it to the elevator in time...

Throughout the many floors where Dandy appeared afterwards, nobody wanted to buy anything, just pure silence and awkwardness. Boxten saw the agitation in Dandy's eyes with every time his shop appeared, it discomforted him severely.

Everyone stared at the irritated flower with fear.
Dandy wouldn't stop twitching, his eyes passing from one toon to another. "..I know you have tapes..." He muttered "..I know you do."

"Someone just give him some tapes!" Scraps whispered.
"Why don't you? I have none!" Goob shrugged.
"Don't look at me..." Boxten mumbled.

Toodles walked up to Dandy, trying to pull herself up to see what he had to offer.
Dandy watched her eye the items impatiently, waiting desperately for her to make up her mind. Toodles shifted her gaze from the items to Dandy and frowned. "..Gumballs?.. Again?" She complained "Why don't you give us something useful?!"

"What do you mean." Dandy hissed "My stock is PERFECTLY useful."
"..Toodles?" Scraps looked over to Dandy and Toodles.
"No it isn't! I don't wanna give you my tapes for this garbage!" Toodles sneered.

Something in Dandy must've snapped just then.
His expression went from frustration to anger. The music had very abruptly stopped. "THOSE. TAPES. ARE. MINE." Dandy said. He stared down at the child before saying in a harsh tone "I WILL BE BACK." He aggressively yanked on the lever and descended once more.

Everyone in the elevator looked at each other in fear.
"Wh- What does he mean..." Boxten asked nervously. "I don't know.." Poppy replied honestly, staring down at the metal doors in the floor. "Did we hurt his feelings?" Goob asked, a tone of regret and sadness in his voice. "I'm sure he'll be okay, let's not think too much on it for now." Scraps reassured him.