The right thing

I'm speed walking over the paddock, trying to find a quiet corner. Its practice day and everyone is running around. The air is heated in Miami and my summer dress is flowing through the soft wind. All I want is a quiet corner where I can calm down and think about what I should do next. Losing my job was not on my 2024 Bingo Card. What however was, is a promotion, which I can definitely forget now. I walk around a corner into a quiet hall. No one in sight, and I lean against a wall. My heart is still racing and the tears I'm trying to hold in are threatening to spill. Why did I even put on mascara this morning before the meeting. I knew this wasn't going to end well after I clicked that stupid button. I slowly slide down against the wall and feel the cold floor against my legs. It sends a cold wave through me and for a second my mind clears. Okay, I lost my Job and it was my fault. I should figure something out, right? I mean, I didn't get fired because I was bad. My hands find my head and I have to hold myself together. My shoulder bag slips off my shoulder and hits the floor next to me. Insde it, I hear my phone and my lipstick click against each other. My insides pull together and I remember I will have to call my parents and spread the amazing news. Well, amazing for them anyway. Not like they were happy about the job I had pursued after university.

Why did I do it? I knew I was going to lose my job but at least I would have made an impact but now it was all for nothing and I had lost the only steady income I had.

A tear rolls down my cheek and I quickly wipe it away. It was already bad enough that I was sitting on the floor alone, mopping about losing my job. So there was no way I was going to let anyone see me cry. My head is buzzing and I'm trying to think about how I can fix this and where I could find a job. I mean, I had worked for a pretty big news reporter and magazine, so it shouldn't be too hard to find anyone that would hire me. It's more like the part where they would ask me why I got fired. Yea no. It can't get any worse.

"Do you need a tissue?''

Did I say it can't get any worse? Well, I was wrong. Before even looking up, I know who is standing in front of me. The thick Austrian accent makes my heart jump every time I hear it and now he is talking to me. Fuck my life.

I quickly get off the floor and grab my bag. My sweaty hands pull on the hem of my dress, trying to fix it ''Oh, I'm so sorry, Sir''

I feel so stupid. Toto Wolff is standing in front of me in his full 6.5-foot and his white Mercedes shirt, looking flawless as ever. Me, on the other hand, looks like I just got fired and hit with a panic attack (which is true). He, however, doesn't have to know that.

''Why are you apologizing?''

I finally meet his gaze and for a second I forgot he asked me a question. He looks concerned and his eyes search for mine but I think for a second. What was I apologizing for? Crying? Loosing my job? None of it had to do with him. ,,I don't know'' I look down at my feet a bit mad at myself. Im wearing my old sneakers but I guess it didn't make much of a difference now. ''See? Now accept my tissue and walk with me, okay?'' Confused at his request, I take the tissue out of his hand, wiping the remaining tears away. Let's hope the waterproof mascara is really waterproof. He turns and starts walking. Automatically, I trail him and try to keep up with his big steps. Why am I following him? Is he kicking me out? Sure, I wasn't wearing a badge but that is only because they just took it away from me a moment ago. ,,How come you are crying in the hallway?''

The question stuns me because it's hard to believe that he would care. Not that he is a bad person but he is Toto Wolff Team principal of the Mercedes-AMG Petronas F1 team and I'm just a reporter. Well, I was a reporter. Still, I bring up the courage to answer him ''I just got fired from my job...Well technically, it was my fault, so I should just leave and be grateful they aren't escorting me out here personally.''

"Am I allowed to ask why you got fired?''

Is he allowed to ask? Another one of those questions where I have to ask myself if we landed in some kind of parralele universe. I still walk beside him with no idea of where he is leading me.

''Well in the short version, I got fired for publishing an article they told me not to post''

''And in the long version?''

I stop. Was I actually going to tell Mr.Wolff the story of how the media world is corrupt? He notices I stopped and turns around with a questioning look. I get the feeling he wasn't going to let me go without telling him. I take a deep breath.

''While researching, I found out that one of the racing teams has some shady things going on and I wrote an article about it. It might actually be the best piece I ever wrote but then my boss told me they can't publish it. I first didn't realize why, but it turns out the company has been paid a lot of money, not to mention anything in our reports. They said they would give me part of the money. I knew I was going to get fired if I published it anyway, but I coul't just let myself be bribed into hiding the truth. It doesn't align with my morals, so I did it. Sadly, it didn't take long for them to realize and the post was deleted faster than I could think. Stupid me had hoped it would at least stay for a few hours so the news would get spread and something gets done about it but no, I lost my job for nothing''

I take a much needed breath and look back at Toto, who had just been listening, then he turns around and gestures for me to follow him again. So I do.

''You are right, btw''

What did he just say?

''Your article''

WHAT?

''It really is the best piece you ever wrote''

My heart drops and I don't actually believe what I just heard.

''Im sorry I dont understand?''

He opens the door for me and unsure, I walk through it. Behind it is a room that looks like a living room but is more professional and definitely owned by Mercedes. He walks over to the coffee machine. I just stand there, waiting for his answer.

''You said that you think the article is the best one you have ever written and I agree. I do have to add that the one you wrote about me last year was also really good but this one... This one really displayed your passion for writing and doing the right thing. You made it sound very neutral while still clearly displaying your opinion on bribery and rigged races in mothersport, or any kind of sport, actually. For the matter of facts, I found it better than the expose piece about the incident that happened a few years ago.''

I knew what incident and article he was talking about. It was the article of the season and brought down a very big company but what really made me have to take a seat on the couch was what he said about my writing. Toto Woff had read my article before it got taken down and not only that, he also read other articles Ive written over the years. Redness creeps into my face at the thought of him reading the article I wrote about him. Even worse that he read it AND liked it. His back faces me while he is making himself a coffee. The white shirt that he wears stretches over the broadness of his shoulders and his muscles move every time he grabs something. Then he turns back around with two mugs in his hand. The Austrian man walks towards me and hands me one of the coffee cups.

''I hope you like coffee.''

I nod quickly and watch him sit down next to me. He sets down the mug and his body turns toward me. He studies my facial expression, which probably currently very visibly shows my inner confusion about his intentions. Then he finally speaks again.

''I'd like to invite you to the Mercedes team garage tomorrow while qualifying and talk to you about the article and your future in F1 news...''

''and I will pay for your stay''