Chapter 28: Let the Games Begin

Miss Laurie
Breathing.
It's a strange concept. Breath in. Breath out. Two simple steps to keep us alive. It's something so small and so trivial, yet, it's our main source of life.
I like to think that Irish dance is like breathing. We don't necessarily have to do it. But if we stop, we die.
Not literally of course; only a small part of us becomes weak and unwilling.
For dancers, if we stop, we're not truly ourselves.
For Reagan, I knew that dance wasn't just an extra curricular, a sport, a hobby, something to take her mind off things.
It was her life. It still is of course, but, taking such a big break could widen the gap for her to stop.
Never in a million years would I want a student to stop, just because they felt like it, or because it wasn't "cool" enough. But the reality is, they do. Many kids, especially when going through puberty or going into high school, tend to question whether they should keep dancing.
If they stop, their done. It just was a small part of their childhood.
Sometimes a student has to stop, for reasons that their parents cannot support it anymore or time conflicts.
But for those who truly love it, no matter what the consequences they will always find a way back to dance.
I remember when I was younger, I used to think that Irish dance would be something I did for only a couple of years, and then I would move on to something else.
However, I was only 14, and had just started High School.
I was so lucky to have had a mother to push me in the right directions, or siblings to challenge me. But back then, Irish dance was not as intense as it is now.
I would have never missed my friend's birthday party for dance class. It's funny how now I have to force my students to come to class, party or not.
The 2015 CLRG World Championships is coming up in April, and this year we have 21 dancers competing.
Two are U11, one is U12, three are U14, five are U15, and one is U17. We will not be doing teams this year because we just did not have time to practice. Starting today, March 25th, I will be in the studio for six hours along with my four other teachers. Our studio has three rooms, so we figured that we can have all dancers come at once and have seven working in each room.
During this time of year, I am always smashed with calls and meeting with new and eager students, and we are coming right out of St. Patrick Day shows. I'm sitting at my desk at the studio, and I notice a sticky note has been put on my laptop. There is a phone number on it and I guess that one of the other teachers took the call and left the number for me. Just then, Elaine walks out of studio A and tells me "Laurie, a woman named Alexandra Snyder called for you this morning. She told me to tell you to call her back as soon as possible." She waves her hand toward the sticky note that she just now sees that I am holding.
"Elaine," I say. "You know that anything people say to me, they can also say to you as well. You should've just told her to say what she needed to you." I turn back to my desk but Elaine hovers.
"The thing is," she begins. "I did tell her that. She said it was too urgent for you to not hear it firsthand."
"Hmmm." I wonder out loud. "What was her name again?"
"Alexandra Snyder."
A lump in my throat appears and I can barely speak.
"Thank you, Elaine." I manage to get out. After she is out of sight, I immediately go outside. I reach for my phone and notice that I have one missed call from an unknown number. But, wait. I recognize it. It's the number that was on the sticky note...it's Alexandra Snyder's number. My knees almost go weak and I stumble, leaning against a tree just outside of the studio.
I reach for my phone and call the number back.
Alexandra picks up.
"Darling," she says. "I'm so glad you decided to return my call. Your poor little secretary was smart to tell you my name, or else, who knows what would have happened to her." Alexandra snickered menacingly and I managed to muster up a comeback.
"You know, you have a lot of nerve calling after all the years. There better be a good rea-" but she cuts me off.
"We need to speak. In person."
"Anything you need to say to me can be said in all types of communication." I say firmly.
"Fine." She says. "I got a call from the head of the ADCRG committee yesterday. He wanted to know if I knew you. I said that I did and he told me your little secret, but you're lucky that I already knew."
"Why do you continue to do this to me, Alexandra?"
She chuckles before saying "I'm bored, mostly, and also because I miss the old you, the fun you."
"Alexandra, I have a family now. I could never go back to what I was."
"That's merely why I love toying with you so much. Anyways, meet me at the Sugar Bar tomorrow at 7 p.m. sharp. We have a lot of catching up to do."
Before I can answer, she hangs up, and I am left breathless and shocked.