Chapter 19: Dinner is Served

Regan

It's great to be home.

I still don't believe everything that happened in just one weekend. It felt like a dream; at least most of it did.

I'm really excited to come back to Thanksgiving break and see all my relatives. I go down stairs and see mom in the kitchen and Conner on the couch. I sit down next to him. "Hey there." I say to him. I snuggle up under a blanket. It's starting to get colder here in California.

We have no dance this week. I might practice at home just so I don't lose any stamina, and I have to start learning the new steps.

Soon it's the day before Thanksgiving. I go with dad to pick up our aunt Lindy and uncle Jim and their kids. They have three kids: Allyson, who is 17, Cole, who is Conner and my age, and Keeva, who is 2. I get along with them all really well.

"Oh my gosh! Reagan, you are so big!" Aunt Lindy says as she gives me a big hug. "Congratulations on your bug win." Allyson and I are really close. Cole is basically Conner, but shorter, and he is really funny. I pick up Keeva and kiss her on the top of her head. She has the softess skin ever, and rosy red lips. They live in Colorado, so we get to see them most holidays.

When we get home, I go with Ally to my room. She will be staying with me, along with my 10 year old cousin Demi. I get along with her well mostly because she is really mature for her age. Demi's family lives in Long Beach so the drive is not long to San Diego.

All of the relatives are here and we order pizza for dinner. Mom didn't want to cook since she will be tomorrow.

When it's bed time, Allyson, Conner, Cole, and I hang out in my room until late, playing cards and just talking. They are probably the closest people to me.

In the morning, I get up and take a run with Allyson. We stop because we see someone sketchy walking on the side of the road. We crouch behind a bush. It's a boy. He's a little taller than me, and he seems to be my age. He turns to show us a dry, sunburned face. "Oh my God!" I say. "Kyle?" Kyle looks at me and I know it's him. His face seems to be permanently turned into a scowl. "What the heck?" I say. I am so alarmed by his appearance. What had happened to him in the past few days?

"You know him?" Allyson says. This time, Kyle answers "Yeah. We go to school together." But he says it so coldly that I am frightened. "Kyle, you need to tell us what happened!"

"Fine! You wanna know what happened, Reagan? Are you sure." "Yes." I say. "After awards on Friday, when I was disqualified, my mom got so mad at me. She hit me, a lot, and then she just left. I was all alone in the hotel room, and she took all my stuff, so I just left. I had no food, I had no money. I didn't have a phone. I was completely stranded. I didn't even know how to get back to the Convention Center. So I rode on the backs of trucks and walked for many miles until I got to school. I was trying to get home." "Oh my God, Kyle I am so sorry." I say. But Kyle doesn't answer; he just sits down and cries. I go and sit down next to him, giving him a hug. His jacket is covered in dust, and his skin is so rough.

"Kyle, it seems like you've been through a lot." Allyson says. "Do you want us to walk you home?" "I was planning on going home." Kyle says. "But the last thing my mom will want to see is me."

We take Kyle to my house, where he showers and wears some of Conner's clothes. Allyson goes over to Kyle's house, but his mom isn't there. In fact, there is a for sale sign in the grass. Ally tells me, but she doesn't tell Kyle. It would only upset him.

Mom talks to Kyle for a bit and she agrees to let him stay. Kyle is introduced to all the family. All the kids play soccer and volleyball and the parents sit in the kitchen and watch football.

Dinner is soon served and it is so good. Kyle seems to fit right in.

Kyle sleeps in Conner's room with Conner and Cole. In the morning, Kyle calls his mom. "Mom, it's Ky-" but before he can finish she hangs up. So my mom calls her and they have long talk. At one point, mom is screaming at Kyle's mom, and Kyle looks so sad.

Finally my mom hangs up. She looks like she's about to cry. "Mom?" I say. "Kyle, your mom doesn't want you anymore."