8. Ghosts of the past

Hawk

Robin had acted weird since our tea time, but whenever I tried checking up on her she shut off.

I hoped she'd open up to me after she cried about her ex, yet she was unreadable this time.

I figured it had something to do with my question about home, so I did the most logical thing I could think of: I went to ask her brother.

Now, I've never been a nosy person (I'm lying, but bear with me), but I was so worried that I had to ask someone.

She wasn't avoiding me, but she looked gloomy and often cooked for me and went out to eat by herself.

For the first time, as I walked through the corridors he acknowledged me with a small nod while he was talking to his friends. A couple turned to me, and I just awkwardly lifted my hand in greeting.

Fayette had decided to finally show up at the lectures, so I didn't need to eat alone anymore. Magically, in two days she had managed to get a friend group.

Still, that day I went to the bathroom, in hope of seeing him.

Although it was a losing bet that he'd be there, I still did it, and for some lucky twist of fate he showed up.

"You eating in here again?"

I half nodded, "I don't feel really good, so I decided to hide and skip lunch." An innocent lie.

"Do you need a lift home?"

The offer came unexpectedly, and I almost agreed. "No, thanks."

He nodded, then bent over to look for something in his backpack and pulled out a banana.

He gave it to me and I grabbed it reflexively.

"You should still eat something. Bananas are good." He sounded like Robin.

"You don't have to-"

"Just accept it, don't make a big deal out of a banana."

I giggled, "thank you."

He stared at me for a moment, then washed his hands and headed for the door.

Then I remembered why I was waiting for him.

"Wayne." I called him. He turned around.

"Have you talked to Robin since the other day?"

He took a moment to remember, "I think we sent a couple of texts, why? Did something happen?" His worried tone was the most emotion I had ever heard coming from his mouth (which wasn't a lot, but was something).

"No, she's just... Acting strange."

He waited for me to continue.

"She's gloomy and tries to smile a lot around me. Robin rarely smiles, so that's weird."

"Did something happen?"

I debated telling him, but then for Robin's sake I thought I could handle a scolding.

"I asked her if she missed her home in Edinburgh. She said she didn't. I don't want to know what happened or what made her feel bad, she didn't tell me, so you shouldn't either. I just wanted to ask you to check up on her."

"Thank you for worrying about my sister."

"She's my friend, it's only natural."

He didn't say anything, only nodded and got out.

Robin

I thought I had been doing a good job masking my emotional turmoil to Hawk, until I found my brother laying on my bed playing on my computer, that is.