14. Halloween

Author's note: I will let you know when to play the song

Hawk

"Hey, have you seen Robin?" The question coming from Fayette's mouth three days before Halloween was pretty weird.

"Are you asking me if I saw my roommate, the one that cooks me every meal? That I see every day?"

She rolled her eyes. "She's not sick, is she?"

"Why would she be?" Maybe I should've covered for her, but the hypothesis that Robin had bailed out on her with the excuse came to mind later on. I quickly apologised to Robin in my head.

"I think I said something wrong. She hasn't shown up to volunteer nor replied to my texts-"

"Wait, what?" I interrupted her in shock.

"I said I think-"

"No, the last part."

"She hasn't replied to any of my texts since almost two weeks, and-"

"She replies to your texts?"

I was shocked, bamboozled, thunderstruck, flabbergasted, appalled, to say the least.

"The best I get is a thumbs up!" I whined.

"That's weird. She usually always replies to me."

Salt and betrayal.

"I need a minute." I was being dramatic, but come on!

"Quit it. I was just asking if something happened or I don't know."

"Have you tried calling her?"

"I have. And I tried to find her at Harvard, but I think she hid from me."

"Why would she? That's weird."

Fayette bit her lip and avoided my gaze. I wanted to inquire, but an idea came to mind.

"Why don't you come with us for Halloween? We are going to a party."

"Won't she be upset if I show up?"

"Only one way to find out."

So there we were, the four of us (Robin, Wayne, Fayette and me) in the car, driving to the party, in the most awkward of silences.

At least Fayette looked pretty. She had dressed up as a cat. Well, to be honest, she just did her hair to make it look like cat ears. But she was still pretty.

Of course she looked good, after all, her genes were my genes.

"You look good." It wasn't my voice that complimented her, but Fayette's voice complimenting Robin.

"You too." The silence that followed was painful.

"Is your boyfriend coming too?" Wayne's question sounded weird to my ears.

Whose boyfriend? He was the last guy I had been with - well, kind off. Fayette wasn't close enough with him to talk about boys, and Robin...