Chapter 12

Mike's POV

"Mom!" I yell, as I walk into my house.

"Dad!" I call, still hearing no response.

The lights are off, and there are no signs of life in the silence, so I wonder why Joyce said my mom wanted me home immediately. I think about it for a moment, then it dawns on me. She noticed Will's hickey, and wanted answers. They're probably having the world's most uncomfortable conversation right now, and it's my fault. I should've thought about this happening before I let it happen.

The past day or so has been crazy, and so confusing, but its's also been the most incredible day of my life. I already knew I liked Will, but I don't just like him. I need him, and love him. But I still sort of wish I didn't. Kissing him was the most magical experience I've ever had, and memories of his soft and warm lips fill my mind. The issue is that I've always been told that it's wrong to be gay. I fully support Will, and I want to accept myself, but I know I'll get bullied even more and my parents will disown me if other people find out. Troy has always been a dick—especially to Will. He always called him a fag, a fairy, a queer. I don't want Will to go through that again, but I also don't want that to happen to me. I already get bullied enough.

But speaking of parents and people finding out, I should go check on Will. His mom probably knows now, so should make sure he's ok.

Although it's risky, all I can think about is how much I need him, and how much he might need me right now. I get back on my bike, and pedal the short route to Will's house. I get off, and knock on the door, hoping Joyce doesn't send me home again.

"You're back already? I thought your mom wanted you home," Will says, his face lighting up.

"Yeah, is that ok?" I ask.

"Of course it is," he tells me, quickly brushing his lips against mine, a million fireworks going off in my mind.

"My mom wasn't home," I tell him, "so I think Joyce wanted me out of the house."

"Yeah, that makes sense," he replies.

"Did you talk to your mom about, you know?" I ask, lowering my voice, just in case.

"Didn't really have much of a choice," he explains, "but it went really well."

I am filled with a sense of relief, I give him a huge hug. "I'm so proud of you, and I'm so happy that your family's so cool with it. I just wish I could tell mine."

"Hopefully someday, things will be different, and you'll be able to. Do you want to go upstairs?" He asks me, and we head upstairs. I notice his sketchbook is open, turned to a page with the very beginnings of a drawing.

"What were you drawing?" I ask.

"I was just reminiscing about Castle Byers," He answers. He hadn't brought up Castle Byers in forever, not since he destroyed it after we fought last summer.

"Yeah sorry about that," I say, "I'm pretty sure I'm the reason you destroyed it."

"It's ok," He tells me, "it was a long time ago."

"Yeah, but the comment I made about how it wasn't my fault you don't like girls was uncalled for," I chuckle.

"I definitely felt attacked by that," he says.

"What if we rebuilt Castle Byers?" I suggest.

"Really? You would help me do that?" He asks, his face lighting up.