Most of the cast died young

Yep. Most of the cast in this movie lived pretty short lives.

When he grew up, Bobby Driscoll was "dumped like garbage" by the Walt Disney company and became a failed actor, a belligerent student and a heroine addict. Eventually, he died alone under the subway at 31, and no one knew he was dead until the 70s. To this day, he's still buried in a graveyard where unknown bodies go. 

Luana Patten lived a more fruitful life in show business, including appearing in movies and TV until 1988. Then she left us in 1996 at age 57, dying of respiratory failure.

Georgie Nokes made it pretty big as a child star, including playing George Bailey's brother in It's a Wonderful Life. He died at age 49 in the 80s, but no one really knows how. 

Gene Holland was a more standard actor, but he did play Huckleberry Finn in 1944's Mark Twain movie. No one knows exactly how he died either, but he was 31. 

The only kid in this film that actually lived a good long life was Glenn Leedy. He had a family with children and a successful career. He died at 68, which is kinda young nowadays, but at least he lived the longest. 

He still lived longer than Johnny Lee, who died of a heart attack when he was 67. The sad part is, his dead body was donated to science. 

Erik Rolf died in the 50s at age 45.

Hattie McDaniel died at 59. 

Even Uncle Remus had a short life! James Baskett was 42 when he played the character and died in 1948 at the age of 44. 

Everyone else was already getting up there in years, but they certainly lived longer than the children and the critters. 

Ruth Warrick lived long enough to star in ABC's All My Children until she got pneumonia and died at 89. 

Nick Stewart lived the longest as he died at 90.