Chapter Four Pt. 1

Two weeks later...
Friday May 17th.

"Happy birthday, Eboni!" Malcolm and Mrs. Holmes exclaimed as they barged unnecessarily into Eboni's bedroom. She groaned, and threw her blue covers over her head to block out the sunlight and loud voices. Malcolm laughed, flopping down on the twin size bed in an over dramatic manner. He grabbed his sister by the shoulders and shook her, until she flipped the covers from her head and mean mugged him. Malcolm busted out laughing in response.

"It's too earlier to be-"

Malcolm cut her sentence short by popping her in the mouth. She glared at him some more, while their mother laughed. "Eboni, if you don't get up out this bed and celebrate the fact that God has given you another year." Her mom demanded. Eboni smiled at her mother, and stretched under her covers. Despite her punishment, Eboni found herself letting her mother pull her into a loving embrace. Malcolm sat back on the edge of the bed, smiling at both of them.

"Get dressed and meet us down stairs, I made breakfast." Malcolm smirked with emphasis on the word, I. Eboni's face contorted in horror before she turned her pleading eyes towards their mama. She just hoped her mom wasn't mad enough about her supension to let Malcolm kill her on her eighteenth birthday. Everybody who knew Malcolm knew that he couldn't cook to save his life.

Eboni huffed as she got up to take care of her morning duties and then head downstairs; clad in a red shirt, black joggers, a black and red Chicago Bulls beanie, with red, white, and black Jordan's. She slowly entered the kitchen seeing her family sitting down at the table with untouched plates of pancakes, eggs, and sausage waiting for her presence.

"You guys didn't have to wait." Eboni yawned out as she sat down.

"Of course we did, we can't eat without the birthday girl." Malcolm evily smirked. "Why don't you go ahead and take a bite."

Eboni looked to her mom, who gave her an ecouraging smile and slowly picked up her fork breaking a piece of the pancake off, dipping it in syrup. Eboni couldn't stand soggy pancakes. Slowly she brought it to her mouth and nibbled at it, before placing the entire piece in her mouth. Eboni's eyes grew wide as she looked at Malcolm.

The pancakes were actually delicious!

Eboni eyed them both closly before rising from her seat at the table and walking to the trash. Malcolm and their mom tried to contain their laughter but could no longer help it when Eboni pulled an iHop bag out the trashcan.

She turned glaring at her brother who fell out of his seat, clutching his stomach as he laughed out loud. Their mama covered her mouth, trying to smile at Eboni who gave her a disapointed look.

"Really hilarious. Truly guys, I forgot to laugh." Eboni huffed out as they continued laughing. Having enough she smacked her lips, and prepared to head out for school. Their mother waved goodbye, and Malcolm rose from the floor trying to contain himself. On her way out the door Eboni threw a paperback book at her brother's head, but he dodged it. The look Eboni received from her brother told her he was not happy with her sudden burst of courage. "Come on Malcolm, I'm going to be late!"

"Okay, chill." Malcolm said before giving their mom a quick kiss on the cheek. "Them little boys at your school will still be there when you get there so calm down." Malcolm added as he snatched up his keys off the counter and headed out behind Eboni.

Eboni sat in the passenger side seat of Malcolm's Escalade, tapping away at the armrest. Any other year Eboni would be scrambling to find a last minute location to visit right now. But this year her excitement had diminished. She slumped in the seat, and Malcolm glanced over at her