Goodbye Hero

The air buzzed with a mixture of tension and anticipation as the members of Toman gathered, their gazes fixed on the tall, unruly figure of Shuji Hanma standing incongruously among them. Whispers flitted through the crowd like darting sparrows, each one laden with the question: Why was he here?

Mikey's voice cut through the murmurs as he stepped forward, his presence commanding immediate silence. "We fought hard, and we won," Mikey declared, his steely eyes sweeping over the sea of faces before him. "Valhalla is no more. And we have this man to thank for part of that." He gestured toward Hanma, who stepped up with an unreadable smirk on his lips.

"Today, we grow even stronger," Mikey continued, gesturing towards Hanma. "Shuji Hanma has something to say."

"Valhalla has been without a leader for too long," Hanma began, his voice carrying effortlessly. "Their defeat means they'll now fall under Toman." Cheers erupted, fists pumping into the air as the reality of their expanding dominion set in.

"None of this would've been possible without one man," Hanma continued, his gaze sweeping across the crowd before settling on a solitary figure. "Tetta Kisaki."

A shiver ran down Takemichi's spine as Kisaki emerged, the future ramifications of this union flashing like neon signs in his mind. What disaster could this alliance bring?

When the cheers died down, Mikey's solemn tone reclaimed their focus. "We won, yes. But we also lost a brother—Keisuke Baji." A respectful silence fell, heads bowed in memory of the fallen.

"Chifuyu, say a few words," Mikey instructed, stepping back.

Chifuyu took Mikey's place, the gravity of his role as speaker apparent in his solemn expression. "I thought about leaving Toman," Chifuyu confessed, his voice thick with emotion. "But Mikey asked me a question I couldn't ignore. Was I going to let the flame of the 1st Division die out? I wasn't sure I could bear the weight of being Captain."

A collective breath held in anticipation as Chifuyu paused, collecting himself before continuing.

"Mikey and I talked it over, for days on end and Mikey and I have come to a decision," Chifuyu announced. "The 1st Division needs a captain who embodies its spirit, someone Baji himself would have chosen."

He glanced around, making eye contact with many who looked up to him. "And I've decided that I'll follow the path chosen by someone who does embodies Baji's spirit."

He paused, looking over the crowd until his eyes found Ayame, small and unassuming on the sidelines. "Ayame," he called out, his voice firm. "Step forward."

Ayame, her face a mask of shock, hesitated only a moment before approaching the shrine where the leaders stood. "Ayame, Baji believed in you. I believe in you. Become the 1st Division Captain. 1st Division needs a captain who honors Baji's memory," Chifuyu declared. "We choose you." Chifuyu continued, his gaze steady on her.

Takemichi watched, his heart thudding in his chest. This was a turning point. He could feel it. The past didn't have to dictate the future—not if he had anything to say about it.

Ayame's astonishment melted away as she walked up to Mikey, who draped Baji's old Toman jacket over her shoulders. "This is our family," he said proudly. "And family looks out for each other. "You've proven yourself time and again. She's tough, she's loyal and you've been with us since the beginning. That's the kind of dedication Toman needs."

"Takemichi, you'll be working with me—and under Chifuyu," Mikey announced, nodding at Takemichi.

With resolve steeling his veins, Takemichi stepped forward to accept his fate. The pit of worry in his stomach was overshadowed by a burgeoning hope.