Chapter 12

The evening air was thick with anticipation as Shivani was led to the bridal chamber by Jayavardhan’s mother (Mithali), his sister (Anjali), and his aunt (Neha). The women were all smiles and full of teasing remarks that made Shivani’s cheeks flush redder than her bridal attire. Despite their jovial demeanor, there was an undercurrent of warmth and support that Shivani had never felt from her own family.

As they approached the door to Jayavardhan’s room, Neha couldn't resist a bit more teasing. “Shivani, don’t worry too much. Just remember, our Jayavardhan can be a bit of a handful, but he’s got a good heart underneath all that sternness.”

Anjali giggled and added, “And if he gets too grumpy, just send him to maa sa , she will taught him a good lesson.”

Shivani smiled nervously, unsure how to respond. Mithali noticed her discomfort and placed a reassuring hand on her shoulder. “Shivani, beta, I know this is all very new and overwhelming for you. But remember, you are now a part of our family. This is your home, and we are your family. If you ever need anything, don’t hesitate to come to me. You can call me Maa Sa.”

The sincerity in Mithali’s voice brought tears to Shivani’s eyes. She had never heard such comforting words from her own mother. “Thank you, Maa Sa,” she whispered, her voice thick with emotion.

Mithali smiled warmly and opened the door to the bridal chamber.The room was grand, with dark wood paneling and rich, deep colors. The decor was austere, reflecting Jayavardhan’s personality. It was a stark contrast to the bright, vibrant colors of her own family home. Shivani couldn't help but feel a chill, the room's coldness seeping into her bones.

The women helped her settle in, making sure everything was perfect for her first night. Anjali and Neha continued their playful banter, trying to ease Shivani’s nerves. But Mithali, sensing Shivani’s exhaustion, gently ushered them out of the room.

“Come on, let’s leave Shivani to rest,” Mithali said, guiding Anjali and Neha towards the door. Before leaving, she turned to Shivani once more. “Remember, if you need anything, we’re just a call away.”

Shivani nodded, grateful for Mithali’s kindness. As the door closed behind them, she was left alone in the grand room. The silence was deafening, and she felt the weight of the day’s events crashing down on her. She was exhausted but knew she had to wait for Jayavardhan.

Unable to sit still, she walked over to the dressing table and looked at her reflection in the mirror. The bride staring back at her seemed like a stranger. The heavy gold lehenga, the intricate jewelry, and the ornate veil—it was all so foreign. She took a deep breath and started talking to herself softly.

“How do I look in this bridal outfit?” she wondered aloud. “I never thought I’d get married, let alone to a king. Everything has changed so quickly.”

She ran her fingers over the rich fabric of her lehenga. “This is so beautiful,” she mused. “I can’t believe this was made just for me. I never imagined I’d be the queen of Rajasthan.”

Her thoughts drifted to her family. “When Baba said I had to marry, and Maa told me about the royal family, I couldn’t believe it. How could a king want to marry me? I’m just a commoner, rich but not royal. And what about the secret I’ve hidden from everyone, even my parents? How will I handle their traditions and strict rules? And wearing this heavy poshak every day…”

She sighed deeply, "bhagwan ji kaha fasa diya aapne mujhe?”

She glanced at the clock. It was nearly midnight. Tiredness washed over her, but she knew she couldn’t sleep until he arrived. She walked over to the bed and sat down, folding her hands in her lap. Her eyes kept closing, but she forced herself to stay awake. Tradition dictated that the bride’s veil could only be removed by her groom.