001. draft

-- 𝓡eticent, Chapter one.

Narrator pov.
April 15, 2024
(real life, twitter, instagram)

"WITH the fifth pick in the 2024 WNBA draft, Las Vegas Aces select Avalon Hills, University of South Carolina." The Commissioner announced, the camera panned over to the Hills family who were all shedding tears of joy. Avalon hugged her parents and then her siblings. She slowly walked up the steps, trying not to fall. Loud yells and applauds were heard throughout the building. she walked up to the commissioner and gave her a friendly hug.

Ava held the other side of the grey and black Aces jersey with 24 on the back, smiling for the camera. her nerves were pretty bad but she was managing perfectly with keeping it down. and then she was pulled for an interview with Holly.

She smiled politely at the woman, "Hi, how are you!" Ava asked, Holly returned the smiled.

"I'm doing great. but i should be asking you that." Holly started, "how are you feeling right now, with being the 5th pick in the 1st round?" The mic was then moved closer to her since Holly was shorter than her.

Ava scratched the inside of her palm with her manicured nails, a nervous tick of hers "I feel great. i'm a bit nervous right now but overall i'm feeling good, feeling proud and joyful too." She answered, making sure to keep the smile up.

"That's good to hear. So let's start with your family. Your father is a very honorable man in the NBA hall of fame, Andres Hills also known as 'Sniper' and your mom, Dyana is a prodigy in the Tennis sport. both of them being well known and popular, how does it feel having to live up to those names? is it tough or is it motivation for you to keep going?"

Ava rubbed her lips together before answering, "Definitely motivating. They both taught me the importance of being the best i can be on the court. and i'm honestly glad that they passed their athleticism down to me. and i think i'm doing a great job so far with living up to their names."

Holly nodded with a proud smile, "and that you are. Now your little sister, Alana Hills is also getting into the spotlight with her skills in basketball as well. Being named one of the best high-school players in the country. how does that make you feel?"

Ava lit up at the mention of her little sister, "That makes me so proud, every time i hear it is just get so giddy and happy for her. her and I used to always play basketball together when we were younger and i made sure to teach her some stuff. it feels good to know that she's using her skills and not letting it go to waste."

"That's so sweet to hear, now i have one last question. Are you excited to join the Aces?"

"I'm very excited, i can't wait for them to teach me new things and help me adjust to the real world. i'm ready." Avalon answered, confidently.