Chapter 26

Chapter 26.

Lucky

We all have different ways of dealing with grief. Some people cry their hearts out, while others try their best to avoid it.

In our situation, Yael and I fell into the latter group.

We were both avoiding it.

Or maybe it was just me.

Hanggang pag punta sa mansyon ay halos walang imikan. Patuloy lang siyang nag da-drive habang ako ay nakadungaw sa bintana. Even until we arrived, we greeted everyone as he held my hand tightly, squeezing it as if he never wanted to let go.

Tahimik kong pinagmamasdan si Lau na halatang napilitan lang. I don't know what made him agree to this, but Grandpa might have trapped him, leaving him no choice.

It sucks. He fell right into Grandpa's hands after all.

Nang matapos ang pag-uusap ay tumayo ako para mag banyo. When I went out, Yael was already leaning against the wall, probably waiting for me. I held my breath as I walked closer to him.

He glanced up, and his eyes softened. "Your mom said she wants you to stay here tonight. . ."

I slowly nodded. "Alright. Are you going home now?"

He nodded, his eyes heavy with fatigue. I looked away. Whenever he looked at me with those eyes, my heart just ached. It’s my weakness.

"Yeah. . ."

I looked at him and managed a small smile. "Okay."

"Okay," he breathed.

Unti-unti siyang nawala sa harap ko. I didn't look at him, but I sensed how slowly he walked and how he kept looking back at me. I clenched my hand into a fist inside my pocket to stop myself from hugging him, from holding his hand. I couldn't do it, not yet. I'm still a mess.

I sighed heavily once he was finally gone. Pagod akong napasandal sa pader. I fucking hate this. I hate how we're avoiding each other. I hate how miserable I am. I hate that I'm hurting him. I hate everything about this. I'm so sick of it.

Why is it so hard to get back to what we used to be?

"What was that?" someone asked, her voice dripping with amusement. I turned to look at her. She was wearing her typical bitchy expression, perfectly matching her red lips and dress.

Tumayo ako ng tuwid at nag lakad papunta sa balkon. Nakasunod naman siya sa akin. I leaned over the railing and watched as Yael's car drove away.

"Was that your husband? Why didn't you let me meet him?"

I rolled my eyes and faced her. "If you had come to my last gathering, you would have met him. Why did you show up at Lau's but not mine?"

She smirked. "Yours would be boring. But Sinclair's isn't. I wanted to see the drama."

There she goes again. Calling us in our second name. Siya lang ang tumatawag sa amin gamit 'yon.

"Did he tell you why he agreed to this?" I asked, since Lau hasn’t told me yet.

She laughed sarcastically. "You think he would tell me? Hindi mo nga alam, ako pa?"

I shrugged. "He might tell you since you’re close."

"But not as close as you two," she said, flipping her hair to the other side and revealing her ruby earrings. "I'm old. I can't keep up with the gossip like you guys. I'm just here for the drama."

What else could I expect? Tita Theresse probably wanted something entertaining, which is so like her. Mukha namang nakuha niya ang pinunta niya dahil sa nangyaring eksena kanina.