Chapter 11

Chapter 11.

Flutter

Lau has always been like that.

Ever since we were kids, he knew exactly what he wanted. So, when Grandpa brought up the tradition of marriage, Lau didn't hesitate to run away. Yet, Grandpa always managed to find him. As for me? As long as I have a book to read, I don't care.

Lau and I are completely different. But despite that, part of me is always cheering him on. That's why I keep saving him. . . I want to see how he'll defy his fate.

Pagbukas ko ng pinto ay isang makalat na kwarto ang bumungad sa amin. Agad na pumasok ang dalawa sa loob.

"Kuya Lau!" sabay na sigaw nila.

I entered the room and roamed my eyes around. Walang bintana ang kwarto. Kaunting gamit lang din, magulo pa.

"Where are you, Kuya?!" si Tia.

We heard someone yawn beside the bed, nasa lapag kaya hindi namin siya nakita. "What do you want, Tia?"

My lips parted when I saw Lau. He stood up, ruffling his hair, still looking half-asleep. "What?"

Tia dramatically pointed at his hair. "What h-happened to—oh my god!"

Storm burst out laughing. "Tangina! Anong klaseng buhok 'yan?"

I bit the inside of my cheek to suppress my laughter. I couldn't believe he dyed his mid-length hair bright red. Mas natawa pa ako dahil sa reaksyon ni Storm. I put my hands in my pockets and watched their reactions unfold.

"What? I've got nothing to do so I dyed it," irita nitong saad.

"You looks like a gangster!" si Tia, mukhang hindi pa rin makapaniwala.

"Mukha kamong tandang na manok!" napahawak si Storm sa tyan kakatawa. Kinuha niya pa ang phone para kuhanan ng litrato.

Lau frowned and shoved Storm's face away. "What are you doing here, anyway? Get out."

Tia crossed her arms. "What's with the attitude?! We got the Grandpa's key! You can go out na."

"Huh? How the fuck—" napunta sa akin ang atensyon niya. Mukhang naintindihan kung bakit. He deeply sighed and put his leather jacket on his shoulder. "I see. Thanks, Kal."

Naglakad na siya palabas at nilampasan ako. Seryoso na ang dalawang pinapanood siya palabas.

"Where are you going?" I asked. I heard his footseps stop so I turned to face him. Nakapamulsa siya at blanko akong tiningnan.

"Why are you asking?"

I sighed. "Grandpa told me he'll find you no matter where you runs."

Humalukipkip siya. "Oh? Sure."

Lau's eyes were filled with a total lack of interest. I said that part of me wanted to see him change his fate, but the other half wanted him to accept it. He was against Grandpa—someone powerful, and I knew he would get hurt. As his cousin, who treats him like a brother, I couldn't bear to see him in that state.

He was about to turn away again, but I called out to him. Nagtataka siyang tumingin sa akin, medyo iritado.

"Why don't you just stop?"

That made him frown. His eyes burned with anger, but he let out a sarcastic laugh. "What's with you? Suddenly giving nonsense comments."

He's right. Hindi ko siya pinapakialaman noon. Pero kung hahayaan ko siya ay baka hindi lang pagkulong sa kwarto ang aabutin niya.