The nursery

Mia was not an employee-she served on the board of directors-but her informal presence at the nursery had stirred the pot among the staff, particularly with Marjorie, the nursery's manager. The older woman had a reputation for being steadfast and unyielding, and she had already made it clear to everyone how she felt about Mia's involvement.

"Look who's here to grace us with her presence," Marjorie had sneered last week when Mia dropped Char off for her shift. Char's face had burned with embarrassment, but Mia had just smiled, undeterred. She was determined to be in Char's life, even if it drew the ire of others.

Char was a young woman with an infectious spirit and a heart full of kindness. She had recently come into her own, and the connection between her and Mia blossomed into something beautiful, something that neither of them had expected. Late-night phone calls turned into coffee dates, and now, they were embarking on a more serious relationship.

As they entered the nursery, Mia caught a glimpse of Char going into the corner of the playroom, kneeling beside a group of children as they painted. Char's gentle laughter rang out like a melody, lifting Mia's heart.

Marjorie was pacing nearby, hands clasped tightly against herself . The moment she noticed Mia, her expression darkened. "I hope you're not here to interfere," she huffed, glaring at Mia with disdain.

Mia took a breath, knowing that confrontations were inevitable, but Char's smile reassured her. "I'm just here to support Char," she replied, her voice steady. "I think it's wonderful what you all do here." She said with a sarcastic tone

"Support her?" Marjorie scoffed. "You mean distract her." She waved a dismissive hand in the air. "You don't even work here, Mia."

"I may not work here, but I care." Mia wouldn't back down. "Char is important to me, and I will always be there for her." She sensed her heart racing but stood her ground. She could feel Char watching them, and that gave her strength.

Over the next few weeks, Mia's presence continued to knit a bond between her and Char, while Marjorie's disdain seemed to deepen. Char often confided in Mia about how difficult it was to navigate the tight-knit community at the knight nursery "I just want to do a good job," Char admitted one evening as they curled up on the couch at Mia's apartment, surrounded by a pile of soft blankets and half-empty mugs of coffee

"You are doing a great job, sweetheart " Mia reassured her, brushing a strand of hair behind Char's ear. "Don't let the parents cloud your worth."

Char didn't say anything she just looked down at her hands.

Mia reached for Char's hands, intertwining their fingers. "Let's focus on us," she said softly. "You deserve to feel loved and appreciated, both in your job and in life. And I want to show you that."

Char smiled, a glimmer of hope igniting in her eyes. "I'm so glad you're in my corner."