Chapter 6: What if: Gwen 10

Ben brushed his eyes, finally feeling rested from last night's escapade.

He still had trouble believing what was going on.

Kevin had become even more psychotic and freakish, Vilgax had come back for him, and now two of the Bounty Hunters that were hired to hunt him were babysitting him. How much more crazy could this summer be?! It all started when the Omnitrix fell, and Ben was sure if he hadn't found it, none of this would've happened.

He wouldn't have met his real father this soon, he wouldn't have known the truth about Grandpa Max, he wouldn't have gotten to learn about aliens, he probably would've grown to be a normal kid, until Carl and Sandra decided to tell him about his true origins.

And now that he knew, he also knew that Max and Gwen were in the wrong yesterday.

Vilgax had recognized his innocence and didn't even doubt him once! Vilgax didn't even spend enough time to truly know Ben, but he still knew someone else was responsible and paid attention to the recordings. He barely knew Ben and was a renowned warlord, said to be cruel in the entire galaxy (if Phil's bragging and Max's story were accurate), but he had been smart enough to know better than think Ben was the culprit.

Ben still had a hard time thinking someone like Vilgax would have faith in his actions, but not Gwen and Max.

He still saw them both (somewhat) as family. Now Gwen more than Max, but Max didn't have his and Gwen's rivalry to make him think Ben was guilty. He was an adult, but still thought Ben would've been capable of Kevin's destruction (technically, he could if he had "Master Control" or whatever Vilgax told him about, but he clearly didn't have it this time, Max had no excuse).

Ben sat up on his bunk, lost in thought.

Would he ever make progress with Gwen this summer? She didn't know Max's secret until now either and she had been with him during this whole thing, yet she still believed it was him who was responsible for the mess that was made, not the other kid who could use Ben's powers through absorption.

It took her confronting Kevin to realize he was someone else. (There was also something that disturbed Ben during the confrontation. Kevin called himself "a hottie" when Gwen asked him who he was. Was he flirting with the dweeb? Ew.)

He needed help, he couldn't do this on his own. Gwen was smart, even if she got it wrong this time, it would be so much more helpful if she was more on his side. He needed to figure out what to do with himself and the Omnitrix. If he put aside his fun time and Gwen put aside her arrogance, they could work on what to do next. He really didn't need another person getting too ahead of themselves for now, he needed someone who could look beyond opinions and be the brain of the team.

He and Gwen really needed to get on better terms soon if he wants her help. Good thing he's already done some effort in the first month of summer.

Had they still been at the far beginning of summer vacation, she would've been hell to deal with if he asked for her help.

He felt a bit surprised, realizing he didn't feel much hungry, despite probably have slept past lunch (not that Max's food would be that appetizing). He didn't even eat that much last night, did he?

He yawned, brushing the back of his head with his hand. With his left hand. With his bare, Omnitrix-less, watchless left hand.

He jolted awake, falling out of bed, and looked at his wrist. The Omnitrix was gone!

How was it even possible?! It merged with his DNA, it stuck itself upon his wrist, it couldn't get off! And so many people had been looking for it for a good chunk of summer, no way he'd lose it now. Tetrax had even threatened to take him away to remove it because he couldn't get it off normally, it couldn't have fallen off while Ben was catching up with his night worth of sleep.