Chapter 11: Ben 10,000: Emperor of Earth

"It's good that you two got along after so much time together." said Max, dropping a few logs on the ground for the fire. "See, it wasn't such a bad idea to stay together."

"Yeaaaaaah." they awkwardly said, holding some treats.

"I've got the marshmallows." said Gwen, nervously smiling.

"I've got the graham crackers." said Ben, the same forced smile on his face.

"We'll wait here while you get more wood so we can make s'mores."

They were so busted.

"I'll be back in a jiffy. Don't start without me!"

They waited until their grandpa was gone to let out a sigh of relief.

"Is he gone?"

"Yep."

"This is such a mess, Grandpa only turns 60 once!" she said, clasping her head. "I had his party totally wired, and then he just..."

"Insists that we spend all of our time with him 24 hours a day. Yeah, I know, we couldn't even get the cake behind his back!"

"Weren't you supposed to get it?" she turned to him. "You did kinda make a mess with him this summer, he'd be happier if you were the one getting it."

"I wish, but he kept an eye on me all week!" protested Ben. "I thought you could do it while I was busy trying not to upset him again. But he's gone now, which means..."

"That we only have a few seconds to make something before he comes back?"

"Yes, or... I can go to town as XLR8 and fetch him his birthday cake." suggested Ben. "He won't notice a thing if I'm quick, we'll just say we've been baking in our spare time."

"What spare time? We couldn't even go to the bathroom without Grandpa asking if we were okay every 5 minutes."

"Gwendolyn, your cousin is an alien, your entire life has something to do with aliens now. I think it wouldn't be hard for him to believe we learned to multitask while he's been getting a year older, now let's-"

They were interrupted by a sudden bright light. Both kids turned around to see an orange symbol form in the middle of the campsite, looking strangely similar to the Stones of Bezel that Hex tried to steal...

The symbol turned on itself until it became an orange orb and Ben and Gwen knew what was going on. Someone, like Hex or Charmcaster, was opening a portal. And that someone was coming right out of it, heading towards them.

The hooded figure was about to grab onto Gwen, but before it could do anything, Ben had tackled his cousin on the ground.

"Ouch! Ben!" she complained. "Wait, is it just me or you're a lot stronger than I thought? Does your heroing actually count as workout for your human boy body?"

"Who knows?" he shrugged.

He had been pretty stronger recently, another effect of turning into a Chimeran as well as being vaccinated by space's most powerful dad. He sometimes wondered what else those chemicals did, aside from helping his body develop better.

He got up and turned around, slamming the Omnitrix's dial. A green flash of light ensued, revealing XLR8.

"Hey! I don't know where you got that awful outfit, wizard lady, but you're gonna need a new one after I'm done clobbering you!" he warned. "Nobody messes with my cousin but me!"

The woman stood there, actually considering what he was saying. She seemed to roll her eyes, who did look somewhat familiar...

Blue energy formed into her hand, and she sent a blast towards XLR8, who dodged with quick ease, carrying his cousin to safety.