Chapter 5- I'm in Love with You Maya. Why Don't You Get That?

Maya's POV

I can't believe him. I can't. I won't.

Lucas does not love me.

I repeat this in my head several times as I lay in bed. But each time I rethink it, the less convincing it is.

Our conversation was still fresh in my memory as I slipped into a painful sleep.

"Maybe I don't want to go out with Riley!" I'll be the first to admit, as his voice rose, it scared the hell out of me.

I decided to push away the fear and truly comprehend what he had said. "You don't want to go out with my best friend?"

He thought about it for a second but then has a look on his face like he just threw all logic out the window. And what he said next made it evident that he did.

"I'm in love with you Maya. Why can't you understand that?" he shakes his head as he lowers himself onto a desk.

All I do is get up from my seat, not even bothering to grab my books, and walk out of the classroom to God knows where.

He doesn't try to stop me, and he has no reason to. He wouldn't know what to say to me anyway.

It's raining outside, but I don't care. I run through the rain, raindrops masking my fresh tears.

-Earlier that day...-

Lucas's POV

What the hell did I just do?

Maya walks out of the classroom without a word, leaving her stuff behind.

I rest my face in my hands and then run them through my hair.

I'm such an idiot.

I probably sit there for another hour before Mr.Matthews comes in.

"Where's Maya?" He questions, looking around the room.

I don't look up. "Gone."

I'm glad he doesn't pry for answers. Instead he just dismisses me.

I grab both Maya's and my books, running down the hallways. I go stair out the door, turning the opposite direction of my apartment complex.

I run up to her apartment building, soaked from the rain. I run around to the back, climbing the fire escape to the 3rd floor.

I look into what I believe to be Maya's window, and sure enough, Maya was sound asleep in her small bed.

Despite the rain, Maya has her window cracked, just enough to let some cool air come in.

I silently hope that she's a heavy sleeper, otherwise I was going to wake her up with one step on the creaky floorboards.

I pull up on the window, it giving easily. I slowly step inside, trying to be as light on my feet as possible. 

As the floor creaks, Maya doesn't stir, so I continue to walk around the room.

I take a seat by her bed, peering at her features, peaceful as she sleeps. I smile.

But as I look a little harder, I saw that her cheek was wet.

My smile drops as I realize that she was crying. 

I made her cry. 

So, instead of pondering on what might have happened before I stepped foot into the bedroom, I get up and grab a blanket. I drape the blanket over her fragile body.

I pick up her books and set them on her desk, careful to make as little sound as possible. 

I stalk back over to her bed, I lean down and place a light kiss on her forehead.

"I love you," I whisper.

Before her body can react, I'm out the window, back into the pouring rain.

*     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *     *

That was a bit of a filler chapter, but still full of some important information.

I should be updating within the next 24 hours, I have quite a bit on open time now that the softball season has ended.

And thank you so much for 35 votes! It means a lot to me to know that a younger writer like myself is getting appreciated.

Don't forget to vote and comment!

You guys are the best readers ever!

-Lucy