𝗖𝗵𝗮𝗽𝘁𝗲𝗿 𝟲

The next morning, I'm woken abruptly by Jade's obnoxious shrieking in the hallway about how there's another "big day" ahead. I think I'd rather have a bucket of water thrown over me than have to be roused by her. It's not like I get a choice in the matter, though.

A neatly folded training uniform sits on the dresser, most likely placed there while I was asleep by an Avox. I lift it and feel the fabric between my fingers. It feels flexible and stretchy enough to allow easy movement. It's black with short sleeves that have red and grey stripes on them, complete with matching pants. I put them on after taking a shower, moving around a bit just to get used to how they feel.

Before Jade comes to yell at my door again, I hurry to the dining area as my mind is buzzing with possible things I could practice today, despite the undeniable nerves in the pit of my stomach. I think it's best I touch on certain skills I'm a bit rusty on or don't know anything about at all. This is also my chance to hopefully secure a high training score when I'm assessed by the game makers. I'm just hoping the careers won't dominate all the stations. It's their idea of a playground, after all.

At breakfast, I swallow down any anxiety and eat my plate of bacon and eggs whilst listening to what Finnick is briefing me and Darion about. A lot of what he speaks about are things I was expecting but I make the effort not to miss a word. I want his words to stick in my mind throughout the day. Any mistakes could put me at even more risk.

Soon, the time comes to head dowstairs and gather with the other tributes in the training facility. I walk to the elevator with Darion, who hasn't said anything all morning as usual. I'm about to step inside when Finnick pulls me to the side to say one last thing.

"Remember, Will. During training, keep focussed and do as many stations as you can. Demonstrate that you're skilled but leave the trident a secret for now. They'll have a nice surprise in the arena when they discover what you can actually do." Finnick says, placing his hands on my shoulders. "Now, go out there and show them who they need to watch out for."

A small smile breaks through the neutral, almost monotone expression I've had over the past few days. It mirrors his own and I'm glad he's looking a bit less stressed despite the fact that I can see the turmoil in his sea green eyes.

"I'll try, Finn." I say because I'm not entirely sure I'll be as impressive in training as he thinks I'll be. I'll try my best for the sake of him and my chances of survival.

"Don't try, just do it. I know you can." He tells me as I step into the elevator, his tone carrying a hint of seriousness despite how calm he sounds. He has more faith in me than I have in myself. I'm almost worried I can't live up to his expectations. But I'm sure I can figure something out when I get there.

Before I leave, Finnick gives me his signature hair ruffle, making parts of it stick in weird places. I don't mind though. I'll never mind if it's Finnick. The elevator doors slide shut and me and Darion stand in silence for what feels like an eternity. My heart is almost racing with anticipation as the elevator glides smoothly downwards before coming to a halt.

The doors slide apart to reveal a huge training room filled with all kinds of stations. I can see racks of glistening weapons, some of which I didn't even know existed. Everything seems to follow a silver and black colour scheme and looks completely untouched. The Capitol always seems to like to go all out. Instructors are scattered around the room and, of course, there's a raised booth that looks over it all for the game makers to observe us and get impressions of our skills. I want to ensure I'm noticeable enough to them that they'll give me a decent score. In particular, I set my gaze on Seneca Crane, the head game maker who has gelled hair and a beard shaved into the shape of flames. He's stood observing the tributes who have already arrived and me and Darion soon join them in the centre of the room.