chapter 1

jake stared at the mirror, trying to shake off the remnants of his nightmare

jake stared at the mirror, trying to shake off the remnants of his nightmare. his eyes were still red from crying, but he splashed some cold water on his face and took a deep breath.

"ready?" jungwon asked from the doorway, giving him a small smile.

"as i'll ever be," jake replied, forcing a smile. he grabbed his backpack and followed jungwon out of their dorm room.

they walked to the school building together, the morning sun casting long shadows on the sidewalk. jungwon chatted about their classes, trying to keep things light.

"we've got math first," jungwon said. "think you're up for it?"

jake shrugged. "i'll try. just hope mr. kim isn't too hard on us this year."

"he's always tough," jungwon replied, laughing. "but we'll get through it."

when they reached the school, the halls were buzzing with energy. students greeted each other, catching up after the summer break. jake kept his head down, avoiding eye contact.

"hey, there's heeseung hyung and the others," jungwon said, pointing towards a tall boy with dark hair and a friendly smile. "let's go say hi."

jake followed reluctantly. heeseung was surrounded by a group of friends, including sunghoon, jay, sunoo, and niki. they were all laughing about something, but heeseung's eyes lit up when he saw jungwon and jake.

"hey guys!" heeseung called out, waving them over.

"hey hyung," jungwon said, grinning. "how was your summer?"

"pretty good," heeseung replied. "played a lot of basketball. what about you two?"

"same old," jungwon said. "just hanging out."

"what about you, jake?" heeseung asked, turning his attention to him.

jake shrugged, trying to avoid the question. "it was okay."

heeseung didn't push further, sensing jake's discomfort. instead, he changed the topic. "ready for another year of mr. kim's math torture?"

"lol" jungwon said, laughing. "jake's hoping he goes easy on us."

"we'll survive," heeseung said confidently.

"hey, jake hyung, jungwon!" sunoo called out, joining the group with niki. "how was your break?"

"pretty quiet," jungwon replied. "how about you guys?"

"same here," sunoo said. "niki and i went on a road trip with our families. it was fun."

"nice," jake said, feeling a bit more at ease with the friendly conversation.

the bell rang, signaling the start of the day. they made their way to their first class, finding seats near the back. mr. kim was already there, writing equations on the board.

"welcome back, everyone," mr. kim said without looking up. "let's get started."

jake tried to focus, but his mind kept drifting back to his nightmare. he glanced at jungwon, who gave him a reassuring nod. he took a deep breath and forced himself to concentrate.

during lunch, they all gathered at their usual spot in the cafeteria. heeseung sat next to jake, making small talk.

"you seem quiet today, and i mean quieter than usual" heeseung said softly. "everything okay?"

jake hesitated, then nodded. "yeah, just tired."

"you should join us for a game of basketball after school," sunghoon suggested, sitting down with his tray. "it'll help you relax."

"i'm not really good at it," jake admitted.

"doesn't matter," sunghoon said, smiling. "it's just for fun. come on, it'll be a good way to unwind."

jake looked at jungwon, who nodded encouragingly. "okay, i'll give it a try."

"great! it'll be fun," jay added. "we'll teach you."

...

after school, heeseung, jake, jay and sunghoon headed to the basketball court. heeseung showed jake the basics, being patient and encouraging. jake found himself enjoying the game, laughing and joking with the others.

"see, you're not bad at all," heeseung said, giving jake a high-five.

"you're a natural," jay added with a grin.

after a while, they realised it was getting dark, so they walked back to their dorms while chatting.

"we should make this a regular thing," jay suggested. "it's a great way to hang out and destress."

"i'm in," sunghoon said. "what do you guys think?"

"yeah, i like that idea," jake replied, smiling. "thanks for inviting me today."

"anytime," heeseung said, patting jake on the back. "i'm glad you came."

jake returned to his dorm feeling lighter. he had made it through the first day, and it wasn't as bad as he had feared.

"had fun jakey hyung?" jungwon asked with a smile, softly.

"actually, yeah.. it was fun" jake replied, smiling a bit as he hugs jungwon.

"ew you smell, go take a shower" jungwon teased, giggling at jake's expression. he loved when jake is happy.

"fineee" jake groaned and went to the bathroom to shower.

he lay down in bed that night, feeling more at peace. he closed his eyes, holding on to that hope as he drifted off to sleep.

[ 💭 ]
awh i wish i had a bsf like uwon 😭
dont forget to vote! thx yall