Chapter 8: The Last Straw

It turned out to be a slow night. It was 30 minutes until close and our last table had just walked out. I wasn't ready to check my phone again. I didn't want to have to admit to Clara that I needed to stay over again. Although, even if he did text me telling me to come home, that was another battle. I wasn't sure which one I preferred.

I was still cleaning up when I realized James had turned his speakers up so that they echoed through the whole place instead of being merely background noise. I smiled over at him. He seemed to love playing and performing.

He started playing a few cords before I quickly recognized the song. It was "Shallow" from 'A Star is Born'. I had seen the movie 100 times and belted that song in the car a million more.

"I love that song," I told him, walking by. He stopped for a second.

"Come sing with me," he blurted.

I was caught off guard by his request, letting out a nervous laugh.

"I don't sing," I told him, looking at him like he was crazy.

"Come on! I'll sing with you. It'll be fun."

He patted to the stool next to the one he was sitting on that held his stuff and moved his things to the floor.

I wanted to tell him no but he kept insisting and something was telling me to just do it. No one was around.

I hesitantly sat beside him wearing a nervous smile. I was crazy to be doing this. I sat there awkwardly while he adjusted his guitar, wondering why I was embarrassing myself like this.

He played the first few cords and somehow I got lost in the music. It was a beautiful song. He looked up at me as the first few words flowed from his lips. I wasn't sure what was happening, but it felt in that moment as if he could see into my soul.

"Tell me something girl, are you happy in this modern world..." he sang. I watched his fingers as they effortlessly strummed the strings of his guitar.

I was mesmerized by his talent and astonished by the fact that I was up here with him. He turned his gaze down to his guitar. I suddenly remembered that I was expected to sing and my part was coming up.

I hadn't truly sang in what felt like forever. Nate's words rang through my head and I started to get more and more self-conscious. I played with my fingers, trying to think of an excuse to get up and run away.

He nodded at me as my part came up. It came and left rather quickly. I laughed, putting my face in my hands. I missed the queue, half-way on purpose.

"Come on, you got it!" He stopped strumming for a second.

"I'll redo the last line and you're gonna sing, okay? There's no one here but us. No judgment, you got this," he said, giving me an encouraging smile. He moved the microphone closer to me.

"Okay" I hesitantly agreed. I closed my eyes.

He resang the last line and played the lead up. I don't remember a single thought before the lyrics fell out of my mouth.

"Tell me something boy, aren't you tired trying to fill that void..." I sang.

Once I started, it was like something took over me. I was no longer worried about what was going on or who was around. I felt free.

I focused on my lines as I kept my eyes closed, in my own little world.

"I'm off the deep end.." I belted.

It wasn't until his voice joined mine that I remembered where I was and what we were doing.

I peered over at him as his eyes intently focused on me. Our voices seemed to merge perfectly. For a minute, it was like we were one. Maybe the girls were onto something after all. I didn't know what it was but I felt something I had never felt before.