Chapter 13: Slipping

The next day was quite stormy. I didn't want to go to work. I just wanted to stay in bed all day.

I walked through Clara's room where she was still peacefully sleeping next to Luna who looked up at me. I quietly tiptoed into the bathroom and took a shower.

I blow dried my hair but didn't style it, there was no use with this weather. I threw it into a messy ponytail and applied some light makeup. I really didn't feel like getting ready. I slid on some mom jeans and a black tank top that exposed my tattoo on my shoulder.

Nate hated the tattoo and was furious when I got it, so I never wore it exposed. He told me it was trashy. He even told me to cover it up while we had sex once because it turned him off. Since we broke up, I have been looking at the pinterest board I made forever ago filled with ideas for tattoos I thought I'd never be able to get.

I threw a cardigan over my tank top since I knew I would probably get chilly. Dave always kept it freezing in there and it was usually nice when we were running around but I had a feeling it was going to be a slow day.

I headed out the door and ran to my car, trying not to get soaked. The rain was pouring, accompanied by thunder and lightning.

The drive there seemed to be getting worse instead of better. I could barely see out of my windshield. I made it into the parking lot and found only one other car in the parking lot. 

James'.

 What was he doing here already? I was starting to wonder if he was sleeping here or maybe stalking me. If I had to choose a stalker, he might be on the top of my list, but still. I was annoyed with him and was hoping to avoid him today.

I grabbed my bag and made a run for the entrance, still getting soaked. A loud clap of thunder followed me in.

"Ugh" I said as I walked into the door soaking wet.

James looked up at me from his guitar.

"You alright?" he asked.

"Yep. Just soaked." I responded, placing my stuff down. I grabbed a towel from the cleaning closet and dried my exposed arms.

"Nice tat," James smirked.

I shot him an annoyed look.

"Are you living here now or what?" I spat at him.

I really didn't mean to be rude but I was soaking wet and annoyed that I had to be there.

He put his pick in his mouth and raised his hands in the air and then lowered them down again. "Honestly, I just get lonely at home. I enjoy being here, around people, but if you want me to go, I'll go. Dave said it's up to me when I play."

"No, it's fine. Stay."

I went to turn the "Open" sign on when a loud clap of thunder rattled the whole building and the power suddenly shut off, making it eerily dark. I could barely see his silhouette.

"Shit." We both turned our flashlights on on our phones.

"Maybe it'll cut back on in a second," I said, walking over to one of the booths closer to where he was.

I admit, I was a little freaked out and sort of glad he was there after all.

We sat there for a few minutes as he gently played his guitar in the dark, which was honestly kind of impressive. The rain was still pelting against the roof harmonizing with the thunder. It wasn't pitch black inside the restaurant, but almost. The sun was buried beneath piles of black clouds.

"I guess I'll text Dave," I said after realizing it probably wasn't going to come back on anytime soon.

"Hey Dave. I just got here and the storm knocked the power out a little bit ago. What should I do?"