Chapter 18: The Night that Changed Everything

The next day, Clara and I both worked the early shift, meaning we got off in the late afternoon, early evening. We rode together back to her apartment and immediately started getting ready for our night out. I had not seen James today and only gotten a few texts here and there. I wasn't sure why I was so nervous for tonight.

I walked out of the bathroom after I showered wrapped in my towel. I sat on Clara's bed and fell back, letting out a groan.

"What's wrong?" she asked as she dried her hair on the floor next to her full length mirror.

"I have no idea what to wear tonight. I have no cute clothes. I literally never go anywhere."

"Let's see.." she went over to my suitcase that was an overflowing mess in the living room. She sifted through holding up clothing items and then putting them down.

"We need to go shopping soon.." she chuckled sarcastically. I rolled my eyes.

"I guess I'm not going unless we're going to a nudist club," I said, sitting on the pullout.

"Come on, let me see what I've got.."

I followed Clara back to her room as she started digging through her closet.

"Ooo try this on"

It was a 2-piece set, a top and a matching skirt. I had never worn anything like this before.

I slid it on and looked in the mirror.

"That looks amazing on you, Grace. You need to wear that."

I admit it did hug my body in all of the right places making my figure look better than it actually was. I wasn't graced with huge boobs, but the top was working what I had.

 I wasn't sure I was brave enough to wear this out. I felt so exposed. I thought about how Nate would react if I tried to wear this and that's what sold me. I was going to.

I curled my hair and let Clara do my makeup since she actually knew what she was doing. I looked in the mirror when I was ready and was shocked at my appearance. I had never seen myself like this. I hoped it wasn't too much, that it wouldn't turn James off.

Clara wore a similar outfit and looked stunning. I was used to her work outfits and minimal makeup. She was glowing. She was such an ethereal beauty. I didn't know how she was still single.

We heard a knock at the door. My heart started beating faster, why was I so nervous? I wasn't usually nervous around him.

Clara opened the door and it was actually her date, Logan. Logan wasn't my typical type but fit her vibe. He was tall and lanky but wore a cool outfit and carried himself well.

"This is my roommate at the moment, Grace," she introduced me.

"Hi.." I awkwardly greeted him.

"Hey Grace, nice to meet you," he said confidently.

We just needed James to get here before we could call an uber to head downtown. I was nervous since he wasn't there yet. 

Was he going to show? Surely he wouldn't stand me up. It was only a few minutes after, so I shouldn't be too nervous right?

Clara poured me a shot while we waited. I downed the tequila and cringed as it seeped down my throat. It had been a while since I had liquor.

A few minutes later, another knock came to the door. Thank God.

Clara got to the door before I could and let him in.

James walked in looking amazing. He was wearing all black with his hair slicked back a little.