Chapter 19: Deja Vu

I froze as I saw him standing there with a few of his friends. This couldn't be happening.

I could tell he was beyond drunk. The way he would start to lean and sway, I had seen it before. I didn't think he had seen me so I led James over to Clara.

"This can't be happening," I told her with my eyes wide.

"It's fine, you've done nothing wrong, just act natural. He looks shitfaced, he probably won't even notice you."

I looked back at James. His jaw clenched as he looked over at him, his fists clenching as well. I could tell he was trying to hold back just by seeing him in the same room as us. It's not like he could kick him out of here, as unfortunate as it was, he had a right to be here just as much as we did.

"Hey, look at me.." James looked down at me and his eyes softened.

"It's fine. Just ignore him." I told him, laying my hand on his chest.

I looked over at Nate as he laughed with his buddies. I wondered if he came here when we were together and I just didn't know.

It was surreal that we were together living a whole different life just a few weeks ago, at least I was. I wanted to hate him, but I know there's a reason he was the way he was. I couldn't let him hurt me anymore, but I could see the pain in his eyes.

For some reason, I wished he would've let me in, that he would've let me help him heal. He wasn't who I was meant to be with, but I wanted the best for him, even after everything he put me through.

After a minute, we lost sight of them and figured they must have left. My heart slowed down a little and we danced casually in the corner with Clara and Logan. Logan offered to get us a round so Clara and I danced together as James laughed at us doing ridiculous moves. 

"How is it going? Do you like him?" I asked her.

"We'll see what happens, I might go home with him if he offers.." she smirked.

"You sure? Let me know if you need an out."

"I think I want an in," she laughed.

I laughed and rolled my eyes. Logan brought back our drinks and I sipped on the cocktail as I went up to James and pulled him back on the dance floor.

"Well, well, well..." I heard a familiar voice say.

Nate came up to us and put his arm around James.

James looked at me like he was asking for permission to knock him out. I shook my head and told him no with my eyes. This was not happening. Nate was wasted so there was no telling what he was going to say. 

"I just want to thank you..." he slurred.

"For taking this little slut off of my hands.." he grinned.

I tried to pull James back but I couldn't. He knocked him against the wall and punched him, making him fall down instantly. His nose was bloody as he grinned, seeming to fall in and out of consciousness.

I screamed at James as he tried to go back for more, but Logan and a few other guys held him back.

I shot him a look of disapproval as he finally backed off. Nate was disoriented as he sat on the ground, wiping his bloody nose.

I bent down and tried to see if he was okay.

"Nate, look at me. Can you hear me?" I asked. He seemed confused and didn't respond.

"Clara, will you help me get him out of here?"

Clara and I grabbed either side of him and helped him up. James looked hurt as I gave him a dirty look. I didn't blame him for punching him but he was out of his mind drunk and he could've really hurt him or even killed him. He wasn't worth it and after all, for some twisted reason, I still cared about him.