Chapter 28: Curtains Close

*** 1 year Later ***

"I don't know if you've heard of this buddy of mine..." Tucker said as he strummed the guitar. 

"It's been a pleasure having him on tour with me...but soon he'll be starting a tour of his own. I don't know if I've ever been so proud of someone, and proud to call him my good friend...give it up for...JAMES PARKER!" He said as James strutted out on stage waving to the crowd as they went wild.

"It's crazy how far I've come in this short amount of time and I'd like to thank you to my beautiful fiancé, Grace, for cheering me on every single day. I'd also like to thank my dad, who I hope is listening from up there, for teaching me the power of music. I don't know if I would be here today if it wasn't for him so thank you dad, this one's for you." He said into the mic as he started to play his own song, "Play For You Again", as Tucker sang along.

Tears ran down my cheeks as he played the song he wrote for his dad. There were no words for how incredibly proud I was of him. I may have been scared to jump into this relationship, it was weird timing, but it was the best thing I ever did.

I was still trying to figure out my journey but for right now, I was fully fulfilled living on a tour bus watching the love of my life perform every night and even getting to perform with him sometimes. He was the other half of my soul.

A week later we were sitting by the fire in the living room of the cabin when I decided it was time.

His mom had given me the letter and told me to give it to him when the time felt right. I was beyond flattered she trusted me with such an important task but she knew the love we shared.

"I have something for you.." I said, breaking the silence.

"What is it?" he smiled.

I took the envelope out from underneath my sweater and handed it to him, trying to hold back the tears already welling in my eyes.

He read the title and recognized the handwriting, widening his eyes. "What is this?"

"Open it" I said gently. I sat in his lap and wrapped my arms around him tightly, leaning my head on him as he unraveled the letter.

He held back tears as he started reading...

"Dear James,

I remember giving you your first guitar and watching your eyes light up like fireworks. I knew in that moment that you had the same fire in you that I did. I know I said the contrary, but I always hoped that you would be a big star one day and I would be able to say it was me who taught you how to play. You were better than I ever was and I knew that. I saw it in you from the very first song you ever learned, Blackbird. I love that song.

I hope you know, I'm always watching down on you and singing along. I'm so proud of you, son. You did it.

I love you always,

Dad