ᶜʰᵃᵖᵗᵉʳ18

ᵖᵃʳᵗ²
Aemma sat at the breakfast table, her expression sullen and her mood dark. She picked at her food, barely touching it, her mind still full of frustration and determination.

Jacaerys and Lucerys, meanwhile, were chatting amongst themselves, their usual cheerful banter breaking through the air. Rhaena sat a few seats away, her expression reserved and contemplative.

Rhaenyra and Daemon sat together, their expressions watchful and concerned. They had noticed Aemma's brooding silence, and they knew that something was bothering her. They shared a glance, silently communicating their worry and concern.

After a few moments, Rhaenyra spoke up, her voice gentle. "Aemma," she said, her voice soft but firm. "Is everything alright? You've barely touched your breakfast."

Aemma looked up at her mother, her expression still sullen. "I'm not hungry," she muttered, picking at her food.

Rhaenyra frowned, her expression now one of concern. "Is something bothering you?" she asked again, her voice gentle and caring.

Aemma looked up again, her expression now one of defiance and determination. "I'm just tired of being coddled like a child," she said, her voice low and resentful. "I'm not weak, you know. I can handle myself and make my own choices."

Rhaenyra looked at her daughter, her expression hardening slightly. "I know you're not weak, Aemma," she said, her voice firm. "But you are still young and inexperienced. You need to understand that sometimes, parents need to make difficult decisions for the sake of their children's safety and well-being."

Aemma's expression darkened even further, her eyes narrowing in frustration. "But what about what I want?" she said, her voice rising slightly. "What about what I feel is right and wrong? You don't even listen to me!"

Rhaenyra's expression hardened further, her patience wearing thin. "I do listen to you, Aemma," she said, her voice sharp now. "But ultimately, as your mother, it is my job to keep you safe and make sure you make the right decisions. And sometimes, that means saying no to you, even when you don't like it."

Aemma opened her mouth to protest, but Rhaenyra cut her off with a firm look. "Enough," she said, her voice brooking no argument. "I understand that you're frustrated and angry right now, but you need to understand that this is for your own good, Aemma. I'm not just doing it to make your life difficult or to hold you back. I'm doing it because I love you."

Aemma clenched her jaw, her expression still mutinous. But she knew that her mother was not going to budge on this issue, and she knew that arguing further would be pointless. She sat back in her seat, her expression sullen and sulky.

Jacaerys and Lucerys had been quietly observing the exchange between Rhaenyra and Aemma, their expressions worried and concerned.

As the tension in the air grew thicker, Jacaerys leaned forward and spoke up. "Mother, maybe Aemma has a point," he said, his voice tentative. "She is good at fighting, and she has been training for a while now. Maybe she could handle herself in the stepstones."

Rhaenyra frowned at Jacaerys's words, her expression stern. "No, Jace," she said, her voice firm. "Aemma is too young and inexperienced to take part in a war, no matter how skilled she is at fighting. She doesn't know the true dangers and horrors of battle. It would be too dangerous for her to go there."

Rhaenyra continued, her voice stern and resolute. "If I were to send any of my children to the stepstones, it would be you Jacaerys. As the oldest and my heir, he is better equipped to handle the responsibilities and risks of such an endeavor. Aemma is still young and lacks the experience and wisdom to handle such a situation."