Chapter 20

They were late.

No. They were later than late.

By the time Isaac and Skyler rolled up to the school, the game had already started and was going in full swing. Cheers and screams were heard from the parking lot, and they hoped nothing had gone down just yet.

"Get to the locker room and get the rest of your stuff," Skyler said as they hopped off her motorcycle. "I'll go down to the field and see what's going on."

"Be careful, Sky," Isaac worried. "We don't know what we're facing yet."

"I'll be fine. Just go," she affirmed. "I'll see you out there."

She waited until he had disappeared into the school before tucking a gun in the back of her waistband and her knives inside the holsters on her ankles. One thing was certain: if anyone, whether it be the Kanima or her family, tried something that night, she was going to fight back and defend the people she cared about.

In the field, there was a shared nervousness between all those who knew the truth of the world that was hidden in plain sight. But no one felt the pressure more than Scott. Not only was he forced to sit out of the game, putting everyone on the field in danger, but he also had to protect his mother and his friends from Gerard and Jackson.

"Let's put a real clock on this game, Scott," the boy's ears twitched towards the man's voice. "I'll give you until the last thirty seconds. When the scoreboard clock begins counting down from 30, if you haven't given me Derek, then Jackson is gonna kill someone."

Dread settled in the pit of the boy's stomach. The man listed off potential victims, putting in the pool his mother and Stiles' father. Even Lydia's and the coach's names were mentioned. What he had not expected was the last person he said. He knew the man was cruel, but he never thought Gerard would stoop so low. "Or maybe I'll send him off on Skyler," he said. "Maybe Derek will hand himself over if I do that. You know how much he likes the Argent girls."

Scott's head snapped behind him, his gaze colliding with a frantic Skyler. She was speaking into her phone, at a tone so low even he couldn't hear, but he could tell she was worried. He just hoped it had nothing to do with what was going to go down that night.

"It's up to you, Scott," the man instructed. "But you are going to help me take Derek down. Because if you don't... I'll have Jackson rip someone's head off right in the middle of the field and drench everyone you love and care about in blood. And I'd really hate for that person to be my own granddaughter."

Even without the Kanima, there was a slaughter on the field. With Stiles' little to no experience actually playing the game, the team had no chance of winning, much less of benching enough players to get Scott in there. It was wrong move after wrong move, and there was nothing he could do—at least, not just yet.

As the coach forced him to sit back down when he tried to join the team, he felt a presence next to him. Someone he wasn't quite expecting.

"You came to help."

Surprise was splattered across his face as the other boy smirked at him. "I came to win," Isaac said before his eyes fell on Gerard's threatening gaze. "Do you have a plan yet?"

"No," he sighed, "right now it's pretty much just keep Jackson from killing anyone."

"Well, that might be easier if you're actually in the game," the blond stated. "We have to make it so coach had no choice but to play you."

"How do we do that? He's got a bench full of guys he can use before he ever puts me on the field." All it took was one look before both boys knew what had to be done and how. "Can you do it without putting anyone in the hospital?"