chapter 1

"You need a pen?" I ask, my voice barely above a whisper.

Once again, I'm met with silence from my bench-mate. Nathan Parker hasn't acknowledged me in the dozen times I've tried to speak to him, yet for some inexplicable reason, I keep trying. I'm not usually talkative, but he makes me feel like I am.

He doesn't speak or even turn to look at me. We sit side by side, but sometimes it feels like I'm sitting alone. I even thought he might be mute when I first joined Orchid High, but he answers whenever a teacher calls on him. So, I've come to the conclusion that he's just rude.

I get it-some people are introverted, some are shy-but Nathan Parker? He's something else. Blatantly rude might be an understatement.

Sean Reed snatches the paper from Nathan's hand, smirking as he says, "Anyone can join the team, except you." He tosses the paper back and saunters away.

If Nathan's rudeness is in his silence, then Sean's is in his words. He's the kind of guy every girl seems to crush on and every guy wishes he could be. Sure, he's handsome, but it's his personality that makes him stand out-and not in a good way. His personality is absolute trash.

"Join cheerleading!" Melissa, the cheer captain, exclaims, handing out forms. Every activity needs a form, and while cheerleading isn't for me, I've always had a thing for acting. So, I wait for Julia, the drama club leader, to hand me a form.

"I'd gouge my eyes out if she makes the cheer team," Sean mutters, loud enough for me to hear.

I glare at him, not understanding why he feels the need to be so condescending all the time.

"You're the football captain without any real leadership qualities, so why wouldn't she make it to cheerleading?" Melissa snaps back, defending me. I've always liked her, and Julia too-they're good people.

"Only pretty girls make the team, Mel. You said it yourself," he shrugs. His words sting because, deep down, I know he's right. I'm not cut out for cheer.

"She's pretty!" Julia says emphatically as she hands me the drama club form.

"She's mid," Sean retorts, walking away with that infuriating smirk of his.

"Don't listen to him," Melissa warns me, practically threatening me to ignore his words before she dashes after Sean, playfully pulling his hair. They're best friends, despite being total opposites, and I can't figure out how she puts up with him.

After I write my name on the drama club list and hand it to Julia, I take a moment to scan the noisy classroom, filled with chatter about the activities everyone's joined. The only person not participating is Nathan Parker. If I didn't know any better, I'd say he wanted to join the football team. I've seen him watching the practices every day, both before and after school. He frowns when someone misses a goal and subtly relaxes when a goal is scored. If it weren't for Sean, I'd think Nathan might actually want to play.

They hate each other. It's obvious, even though they're so different. Nathan isn't afraid of Sean like everyone else, but he never fights back when Sean bullies him. He just...does nothing.

"Sign up for anything?" I ask, my voice cutting through the noise of the classroom. I know the answer, but I can't help myself. Talking to Nathan Parker feels like trying to start a fire with wet matches, but I keep striking anyway.

He turns his head slightly, just enough to acknowledge that I exist, but not enough to actually engage. His dark eyes lock onto mine for a brief moment, and for the first time, I see something there-curiosity, maybe, or just mild annoyance. It's hard to tell.

"No," he says finally, his voice low and measured.

When I first described him, it was all about his personality, but that doesn't do justice to his appearance. He isn't a model, but he could be. His dark hair is always styled to perfection, and his crescent-shaped eyebrows are thin and narrow, adding character to his best feature-those entrancing, almond-shaped dark eyes. He has an upturned nose that complements his sharp cheekbones, which taper down to a jawline that could cut glass. At about 6'7, he's impossible to miss, always blocking the view to the other side of the room.