chapter 9

Nathan’s POV

Reed and I sit on the balcony just outside Lyllea’s room, the night air cool against my skin. The city lights in the distance cast a faint glow, but I can’t focus on them. My thoughts are a tangled mess, and I can feel Reed’s gaze burning into the side of my face. He hasn’t looked away since we sat down, and it’s taking every ounce of my self-control not to snap at him.

“Dylan Lenski has nothing to do with me,” I say, breaking the silence. My voice is calm, but there’s an edge to it.

I know Reed suspects me. He’s always been wary, ever since our families’ paths first crossed. Sean Reed is the kind of guy who sees things in black and white. To him, I’m dangerous by association, a walking time bomb just waiting to explode. And with whatever went down today, I’m sure he’s convinced that Lyllea is going to get caught in the crossfire. He thinks I’m the one responsible for the pain she’s in, the reason she’s been having those panic attacks. But I’ve never even spoken to Dylan. Hell, I barely know the guy.

“It’s not your fault,” Reed finally says, his voice low and measured.

I blink, momentarily stunned. Did I hear that right? After everything that’s happened, he’s actually siding with me? Reed has never given me the benefit of the doubt before. It’s like he’s had this belief drilled into his head that anyone with the last name Parker is automatically a villain.

“I should’ve known,” he adds, almost as if he’s talking to himself.

“What do you mean?” I ask, my curiosity piqued.

“Nate,” he says, and my heart skips a beat.

The last time he called me that was two years ago, back when Adrian was still around. Back before everything fell apart. Sean hasn’t used my name since the day we cut ties. It was like an unspoken agreement—we weren’t friends anymore, and we were never going to be. For him to use it now feels… strange. Almost nostalgic.

“What?” I reply, trying to mask the tension in my voice.

“She was trying to protect him,” Reed whispers, his tone heavy with something I can’t quite place.

“Protect who?” I ask, even though I already have a sinking feeling in my gut.

“Dumbfuck, Lenski,” he hisses. “She was trying to protect him the last time he—”

“There was a last time?” I interrupt, my voice sharper than I intended. I lower it again, glancing toward the door. “And you fucking knew?”

I narrow my eyes at him, my anger simmering just below the surface. Reed looks away, running a hand through his hair in frustration. His usual confidence seems to be slipping, and it only makes me more anxious.

“It was in the classroom,” he sighs, his voice filled with regret. “There was no one else around. He locked the door, but I overheard them. When I got in, he hid… I don’t know where. But she was trying to protect him, Parker.” He looks me in the eye as he says my last name, like he’s trying to emphasize the gravity of the situation.

Parker. I guess “Nate” was a slip-up. As the information sinks in, I feel a wave of confusion and anger. Why would Lyllea protect someone like Dylan? Is that why she’s been getting panic attacks? Is that why she’s so afraid all the time?

“I’m going to kill him,” I say, my voice barely above a whisper.

“You will fucking not,” Reed snaps back, his tone authoritative.

“I didn’t mean it literally, asshole,” I mutter, even though part of me did.

“Asshole is outdated,” he quips, trying to lighten the mood.