chapter 13

Lyllea's POV

I wake up to the smell of bacon and eggs wafting through the air. As I blink my eyes open, I’m met with the familiarity of Nathan's guest room, which somehow has more personality than my own.

Nathan’s guest rooms are no ordinary guest rooms; they come equipped with a TV, a mini fridge stocked with drinks (yes, I checked—they aren’t expired), a private bathroom, and a spacious closet.

Damn.

Who could possibly be staying in Nathan's house? Does he bring girls around?

The thought sends a sharp pain through my chest. But he doesn’t talk to anyone, right? He's handsome, sure, but I’ve never heard any girl drool over him. Or maybe they do, and they just keep it quiet because of… Sean.

I scrunch my nose at the idea of girls secretly crushing on Nathan. So what if they do? I’m his only friend, the only one he talks to. I roll my eyes at the imaginary group of girls fawning over him.

I’m not one to hate on other girls just because of a boy, but if they want Nathan… Lyllea, stop.

I’m about to drift back into my thoughts when I hear a familiar voice coming from the kitchen.

“Why’s she here?” Sean’s voice carries an edge of irritation.

“She slept in the guest room,” Nathan replies calmly.

“It doesn’t change the fact that—” I step into the kitchen doorway just in time to see Sean grabbing Nathan by the collar.

When Sean sees me, his grip loosens immediately. “Are you okay?” His tone shifts from angry to concerned.

“Why wouldn’t I be?” I snap back.

I’ve started to like Sean, but the way he treats Nathan unsettles me. I don’t like it one bit.

“Did he hurt you?” Sean presses, and I resist the urge to slap him.

“He would never,” I say firmly.

For a moment, I think I see hurt flash through his eyes, and guilt starts to gnaw at me.

“I’m sorry—” he begins.

“No, I’m sorry,” I cut him off, softening my tone. “I just… had a bad dream,” I lie.

Sean has been there for me, and this isn’t how I should repay him.

“I just came to check in before I leave for school,” Sean explains.

“You’ve got 30 minutes left, Reed. Why don’t you join us for breakfast?” Nathan’s voice is neutral, devoid of emotion, as usual.

“I’m gonna have breakfast at school. Besides, I need to break Dylan’s nose—”

“No!” Nathan and I both snap in unison.

“What? I’m just gonna break his nose,” Sean says, looking from me to Nathan. “I’m leaving the murder part for you,” he adds smugly, tossing a blueberry into his mouth.

Nathan’s shoulders tense.

“What’s that supposed to mean?” I ask, narrowing my eyes at Sean.

He just winks at me before walking out the door.

Nathan's POV

He didn’t just say that. Before I murder Dylan, I’ll have to murder Sean.

But it’s a fact. Dylan will die by my hands, but not easily. He’ll have a slow, painful death over years. He’s my prey, and the thought of Sean attacking him doesn’t sit right with me. Dylan is mine to kill, mine to torture.