chapter 27

Sean's POV

The drive to Lyllea’s house is an agonizing journey, each mile feeling like an eternity. My thoughts are a turbulent storm of anxiety and anger. The fight with Nathan and Dylan had left Lyllea visibly shaken, and I couldn’t bear the thought of her being alone. Now, as I pull into her driveway, my heart sinks at the sight of the door ajar.

I attempt to steady my breathing, reminding myself that she might just be taking a shower. But the presence of Nathan’s shoes, casually discarded outside her room, sends a wave of dread crashing over me. My pulse quickens, and a cold sweat breaks out on my brow. I can’t ignore the mounting suspicion that Nathan’s presence here is far from innocent.

Standing on the balcony, I am a bundle of nerves, each creak of the floorboards amplifying my unease. The sound of water running from the bathroom provides a shred of reassurance, but it’s not enough to quell the gnawing worry. Every second feels drawn out, a slow torture as I wait for the water to stop.

When the sound finally ceases, I steel myself and push open the sliding door, stepping into the house with a sense of dread. I move cautiously towards the bathroom, each step heavy with anticipation. Inside, I find Lyllea wrapped in a towel, her hair cascading in wet tendrils. Her eyes meet mine with a mix of surprise and embarrassment. For a fleeting moment, I am struck by her vulnerability, but that quickly morphs into a surge of fury as I see Nathan emerge from the bathroom.

Nathan’s face is a mask of guilt, his attempt at a nonchalant demeanor failing miserably. The sight of him trying to hide his discomfort only fuels my anger further. Without pausing to think, I advance on him with a single-minded determination. My fist swings in a swift arc, connecting solidly with Nathan’s cheek. The force of the blow sends him reeling, his shock and pain evident as he stumbles back.

Lyllea’s gasp is a sharp, piercing sound that cuts through the heavy silence that follows. The air is thick with tension, the atmosphere charged with a blend of unresolved conflict and raw emotion. I don’t give myself a chance to process the fallout. I turn abruptly, my rage propelling me out of the house and into the night.

Author's note:

A very very short chapter but Sean's POVs are mandatory cuz we value him 😭😭🫶🏻