Chapter31: Choices

Twenty minutes later Harry found himself in London. Death was once again curled around his neck in his snake form. After they appeared next to one of the many fireplaces, Harry took a quick look at his surroundings.

The Atrium wasn't very busy. It was Saturday after all. The golden symbols on the high ceiling glowed faintly while they moved over the blue surface in mysterious patterns. A familiar sound told of the departure and arrival of people as they stepped in and out of the green flames. When Harry spotted the elevators, he walked towards them with determined steps.

He ignored the security stand where visitors usually had to have their wand registered, instead he moved as if he belonged here. It was probably because of this, that he didn't draw too much attention.

It was easy enough to fall back into old patterns. He had worked here as an Auror after all.

Or rather would work here? But that time would probably never come, now that he had merged with his younger self...

Harry moved with purpose, quickly weaving through the groups of people but when he passed the fountain, two wizards standing next to it shot him disparaging looks as soon as they recognized him.

One of them was about to open his mouth, probably to make a comment of some sort, but the look Harry shot the wizard caused him to rethink his decision very quickly.

And while Harry continued his way towards the elevators, the black snake which had been curled around his neck dissolved into smoke. Like a waterfall, the shadowy mass sank to the ground, yet only to materialize in another form. In the blink of a moment later, Death was walking next to Harry.

"Where are we heading?" the being asked grinning.

"To the Minister."

Death's smirk widened at the grim look on Harry's face.

The elevator ride was not a pleasant experience. At least not for the people sharing their space. Harry was apparently still interesting enough to be stared at and while he'd been thinking about other things – mainly about what he would tell Fudge – Death had cared a little more. Even invisible, his presence could be very ...intense. When they had only moved two floors and the doors opened to "Level Six, Department of Magical Transportation, incorporating the Floo Network Authority, Broom Regulatory Control, Portkey Office and Apparition Test Centre," - as a monotone voice announced - everyone they'd still shared the elevator with had left.

Harry gnashed his teeth. Sirius would have his trial. That much he owed him. After his godfather had offered him his seats in the Wizengamot, he had the right to get something back. Fair was fair. But Fudge, that bastard was still in denial over Voldemort's return. Well, it wasn't like Harry cared what the Minister did about Voldemort, but right now this factor was certainly a pain in the ass.

Finally, they came once more to a rattling halt. The elevator doors opened to reveal the last floor; 'Level one'. Now there was to hope that the office of the Minister was still located where Harry remembered it to be. With a look at Death, he left the elevator.

Harry walked past the other offices of the administrative staff. No-one stopped him. A door to his left opened, but Harry's pushed it close. He couldn't deal with this now.

Reaching Fudge's office, he didn't bother to knock. His magic had the wooden door ripped open in a second and Harry entered only a moment later. "Hello Minister," he said with a dark grin, a part of him finding that he really should take a look at these random outbursts of accidental magic.

Fudge was frozen in his seat. He stared at Harry as if he'd seen a ghost. But he wasn't alone. In front of the heavy walnut desk sat another person, who was just turning around. Lucius Malfoy...