Chapter44: Dear Voldemort

Monday passed without any noteworthy events taking place. That was if one ignored the enthusiastic greetings Hagrid received from various Gryffindors when he showed up back on the staff table. So far, there had been no repercussions for Harry's actions the previous evening and he was content with letting it take its own course for now.
On another note, with Hagrid back from his mission, there was no need for Professor Grubbly-Plank to continue teaching his class. Thus, on Tuesday afternoon, a mix of Gryffindors and Slytherins were heading towards the edge of the Forbidden Forest, wrapped in thick cloaks and their scarfs looped around their necks.

Hagrid was already waiting for them, carrying what appeared to be a rather lifeless half of what had once been a cow. "Today we're gonna work in there," the half-giant announced, a broad grin parting his beard as he motioned for the shadows between the trees. "The trees provide shelter, they prefer it a bit darker."

"What prefers it darker?" Malfoy hissed in a panicked voice to Crabbe and Goyle. "Did you hear him? What did he say?" His silvery magic spiked, sharp edges growing like icicles.

"Ready?" Hagrid asked, and happily stared into their faces. "So for your fifth year, I saved up a little walk in the woods. Thought we'd take a look at these creatures in their natural environment. Now pay attention to what we're going to look at today. I'm guessing it's pretty rare. I'm probably the only one in Britain who's managed to train them."

A vague idea spread in Harry's mind and he was pretty sure what was waiting for them today. He shared a glance with Death, who casually stood next to him.

"Are you sure, they're trained?" Malfoy inquired insistently. "After all, it wouldn't be the first time for you to bring some wild beasts into this class."

The Slytherins murmured in agreement and a good chunk of the Gryffindors seemed to share their opinion.

"'Course they're trained," Hagrid grumbled. He shifted his grip on the dead cow.

"And what happened to your face?" Malfoy asked, his curious eyes fixated on the yellowish bruises and the barely healed cuts on Hagrid's face.

"None of your business," the giant man snapped and he sniffed. "So, if none of you has another stupid question he needs to ask, follow me." He turned his back and began to walk towards the trees. Harry was probably the only one who didn't hesitate to trail after him, but slowly the whole class began to move.

About ten minutes into their walk they reached a place in which the trees stood so close that barely one beam of light fell through the dark crowns. Grunting, Hagrid placed the dead cow upon the pine needles.

"Come on closer, come on," Hagrid encouraged the teenagers who were all hesitant to take even a step towards the spot where the half-giant stood. "So the scent of the meat will draw them closer, but I'm gonna call them anyways."

He gave a scream, which echoed oddly between the trees. He repeated it twice, the students' gazes jumping nervously from one tree to another.

Only then Harry spotted one of the creatures Hagrid had intended to show them. A bony black horse with white eyes and leathery wings slowly emerged from the shadows.

Its nostrils flared, a small puff of air escaping them, the cloud dissolving as it took in its surroundings.

The Thestral turned its skeletal head and when its eyes found Harry it paused.

They stared at each other for a long moment.

Harry tilted his head. The horse turned away and turned its attention to the carcass on the frozen leaves. He pushed his hands deeper into his pockets to protect them from the cold. Death looped an arm around Harry's waist, placing his chin upon his shoulder.