Chapter 18

Freen's fingers ghosted over bruises and cuts and puncture wounds. The tears pooled in her eyes and spilled over when she got to Becky's bloodied and battered face.

"I'm so sorry." Freen's voice cracked and her bottom lip trembled.

"I'm fine, Freen." she assured. Becky's eyes fluttered closed as her body's resolve finally gave out. She fell into Freen's waiting arms.

Freen had to stop herself from squeezing Becky tightly in relief that they'd finally located and rescued her. 

"Is she okay?" Came Nam's question.

Freen took a steadying breath "I don't think so."

"Go. I will handle the rest."

"But..." Freen began, there were probably ten or more guys in this building, which she highly doubted Nam could handle alone.

"No buts. She needs a hospital. And she needs it asap. I have got this. Go!!" Nam practically shoved her out of the way,

Freen carefully lifted Becky in her arms, as she walked to her car.

****************************

Irin walked through the hospital doors heaving a sigh. Someone suddenly grabbed her arms dragging her to a corner.

Her eyes focused on Freen almost immediately.

"How's she?" Freen asked her eyes filled
with concern.

She lets out another heavy sigh, “She’s gonna be ok, hasn’t woken up yet but the doctor says she should soon.”

Freen's shoulders sagged in relief, “That’s so good."

"You can't be here, Freen. You need to leave before someone sees you."

"I can't just leave her."

"I know. But the place is swarming with FBI agents, if even one of them spots you, you're done for."

"I don't care."

"Do you think Becky would want that? You getting arrested? They won't ask any questions. Even Becky won't be able to help you. You need to leave."

Freen stood rooted to her spot. Even if she willed her body to move, it wouldn't.

Irin puts a comforting hand on her shoulders, "She's okay, she's fine. It's not your fault. You did save her."

Freen lets out a sigh, releasing a bit of her guilt at Irin's words, feeling the relief seep in, "Will you tell her I'm sorry and....and..." She couldn't finish the sentence. She wanted to say a lot of things but no words seemed enough at the moment.

Irin seemed to understand her struggle, as she offered her a comforting smile, "I know. I will."

With one last glance back Freen hurried away, her heart heavy.

****************************

"Hey!" Nam opened the door as soon as Freen knocked.

Freen visible relaxed, "You're okay?"

"I'm fine. How's Becky?"

"Good." Freen sighs as she sits down on the couch, leaning all the way back on the headrest, "I couldn't see her. Once she was admitted, the hospital immediately contacted the police. I couldn't stay." Her voice slightly cracked at the end. Her eyes were already closing, now that the adrenaline was gone, she could feel the soreness in her muscles. The struggle of the day finally catching up to her.

"I'm sorry Freen. It must have been hard to leave."

"It was." She breathes out, "Which is exactly why this is a bad idea. We are not compatible. We could never be together. She almost died because of me."

"Freen, Becky walks into dangers like this all the time, it's literally her job." Nam tried to reason.

"She was hurt Nam and I couldn't even stay by her side." Nam rushes to her side, heart breaking as the younger woman flinched away from her, "What if she doesn't feel the same way? Even if she does, what then? What about the future? Will we even have one?"

"What do you want to do then?" She whispers softly.

"I'm going to do what's best for both of us. To spare us of the heartbreak. She doesn't deserve it." Freen's vision blurs with tears as she turns her head so slowly to meet Nam's gaze, her eyes hazy and afraid.

"I'm leaving." Freen whispers hoarsely, a tear leaking from her eye and trailing down the side of her face. Nam just nods softly, squeezing her hand.

_____________________________________

Vote * Comment * Follow for more