Fourteen

Ada

Morning light peaks through the curtains and his arms tighten around me. I'd fallen asleep with my head on his chest and now my back's pressed against it, his head nuzzled in the crook of my neck and my legs tangled with his. When he begins to stir I turn around in his arms to face him, reaching to hold his stubbled face.

Somehow even now a voice in the back of my mind tells me that it isn't real, that no man could ever hold me with the intention to love me. It's no secret that many men will feign love until they've gotten what they've truly desired and for the slightest moment I feel a pang of fear in my chest at the thought that I've mistrusted him. I know well that any trust that isn't earned is pure stupidity, and even then...

His eyes slowly open and then soften when they settle on me. His hand comes up to hold my face and I cover it with my own, gently kissing his palm.

"Hi."

"Hey,' he breathes and a quiet moment passes before we both smile, bathing in sunlight and the most exhilarating joy I've ever felt.

Despite my impulses I've always been careful in taking risks, and yet this may be the most brazen risk I've taken to date. Loving him. Trusting him. Because I have far more to lose than just my life.

His lips meet mine and I'm leaning into him, tasting the longing we both share. My life... that's something I'd sacrifice in an instant. It's something I've tried to take with my own hand more times than I can count. But to relive the agony of that day on the train and the aftermath of it, watching my entire world be torn from me... I don't think I could survive that twice.

"What time is it?" I ask and he cranes his head, attempting to look at the alarm clock behind him before giving up and pulling me closer.

"Doesn't matter," he murmurs, kissing my jaw. "We don't have anywhere to be."

"We do tonight," I remind him and he just scoffs, his hand gently trailing along my spine.

"That's tonight," he dismisses, his lips moving down my shoulder. "But today... we're staying right here, and then after that damn ceremony we aren't leaving this bed until they drag us back to London."

I smile, and it must be midday by the time we make our way into the kitchen with wet hair from the shower we shared and in the evening clothes we picked up from the floor since we have no intention of properly dressing until it's time to head back to headquarters.

He pulls out a chair for me at the kitchen table when I reach to help him with the stove and he just tsks and nods for me to take a seat. "I've got it sweetheart," he promises. "Sit down and let me take care of you."

"Yes Sergeant."

He hums in satisfaction and remarks "You know, I think this might be the first time I've ever seen you take an order."

"Well, it's hard to say no to you," I tease and point out "And I think this might be the first one that you've tried to give me."

"Yeah, because I've got a sense of self preservation," he laughs and I'm smiling as he leans over to kiss me. "I'm a bit smarter than Steve when it comes to that."

"Oh really?"

He wears a coy smile. "Considering you haven't shot at me yet it's a pretty safe bet."

I laugh. "Darling as long as you keep your hands to yourself then I can't see any reason to reach for a gun."

He whistles. "That's a tough ask considering I've got a beautiful woman right in front of me." I hum in approval, only to gasp when bends down to kiss my neck as he moves past, his teeth nipping lightly above my pulse. "Suppose I'll have to settle for using my mouth then."