chapter fourteen: Amine's determination

Amine Bensaid

The rest of the meeting passed in a blur of discussions and laughter. Amine nodded along, pretending to follow every word, but inside, he was rehearsing what he'd say to Jannah's father. He envisioned the confrontation: the firm handshake, the way he'd present his case. He wanted to be respectful, but he also wanted to convey just how much Jannah meant to him.

"I think that's it for today. We accomplished a lot, Alhamdulillah. I suggest we reconvene next week to finalize everything before the first deadline," Salmaan proposed. I merely nodded, my mind occupied with swirling thoughts and worries.

What if Mr. Ziani didn't think he was good enough to even consider his proposal? What if he preferred someone else? But ultimately, it was Jannah who had to choose, right? These questions raced through his mind, drowning out the discussions around him.

"Earth to Amine, are you even listening to what we're saying? What's on your mind?" Salmaan waved his hands in front of Amine's face.

"I, uh, I..." Amine stammered, struggling to find the words. The heat rose to his ears, especially with Jannah sitting there.

"He was probably thinking about how he's going to ask someone's hand in marriage," Salmaan joked, a teasing grin on his face.

Wait, what? Was it that obvious?

Amine's gaze darted to Jannah, whose eyes were wide with horror. He felt a rush of embarrassment wash over him.

"Salmaan." he said, warning Salmaan, but the playful jab had struck a nerve. He could see the color drain from Jannah's face who was now looking at Rahma. His heart raced, not knowing what to do.

I finally decided to pack my bag and stand up. 'Thank you for today, let us know when we will finish this next week. Assalamu Alaikum.' He nudged Salmaan towards the door, signaling that they were leaving.

I had also to deal with this now, as if I am not nervous enough.

'Amine are you okay?' Salmaan asked as we made our way towards the parking lot where our cars were stationed.

'Everything okay Alhamdulillah.' He gave me a suspicious look. 'Are you sure? Because you seemed a little off today.' I nodded. 'Just a little tired. I had a meeting at 8 AM.'

It wasn't completely a lie, but it wasn't the full truth either. I did have a meeting today, but I was not okay. My nerves were killing me. However, we said our goodbyes and parted ways.

My mind was eating me up with "what if's". What if she doesn't want me? What if Mr. Ziani doesn't actually like me? What if I am being irrational going there all alone without parents or even my aunt Sarah? What if my voice cracked? What would they think of me?

I decided to park my car a few streets away from the house of the Ziani's so I could take a little walk to ease my nerves.

As Amine made his way toward Jannah's house, he could feel his heart racing in his chest, pounding like a drum in a marching band. Each step he took was accompanied by the vivid replay of the conversation he had overheard earlier, the words echoing in his mind and intensifying his determination with every repetition. The image of Jannah's radiant face, her infectious laughter, and the comforting warmth of her presence filled him with a resolute energy. He understood that this moment held the potential to shape his future in ways he could only begin to imagine.

The sun was beginning its descent in the sky, casting a warm golden glow over the entire neighborhood, and Amine walked with a sense of purpose that propelled him forward. Despite the fluttering nerves that danced in his stomach, he kept his steps firm and steady. As he reached the front door of Jannah's home, he paused for a brief moment to take a deep breath, smoothing down his shirt and straightening his posture in an effort to appear composed. 'Bismillah.' With a steady hand, he lifted it and knocked on the door, each rap echoing his intentions and hopes for the future.