chapter 27: THE MASSACRE

The day of departure too arrived.....
Ruqaiya's heart was overwhelmed about her journey but something was amiss.....
Like every other time she did not meet the emperor and started her journey hoping everything would be good.....

*in maham's chamber*
Zarina was pressing maham's feet....
"What a beautiful day today!" She started....
Maham replied taking a sip of wine," when everything is falling in its place,after years of hardwork,the moment is surreal..."
Zarina enquired," when is the correct time?"
Maham smirked," when the caravan reaches sindh,there should be only blood pool!"
Zarina looks on.....

The caravan reached sindh after 2 days....they resumed the journey after some hours of rest  only to be attacked by veiled men....
They were about 20-25 in number which was double the number of soldiers.....
Arrows has hit them and ruqaiya's palanquin falls down leaving her injured.....
Within no time the soldiers were dead and the next in target was the maids....
In midst of all these,ruqaiya managed to come out of the collapsed  litter.....
The sight that was before her was horrifying..
The veiled men were chasing the women  while the soldiers were dead....
One maid pulled her into the direction of the forest region.....
She started," begum sahiba,please-please you run away from here....save your life!"
Ruqaiya says," how can I leave all of u in this?? We will go together.."
The maid says," no...we don't have enough weapons and all the men are dead....we are just 5 maids here....we ll divert their attention....you please flee from here...."
Ruqaiya gulped down....she did not have an idea what all happened in the past minute....her eyes were filled with remorse as she is not in a position to save these women.....
Just then they hear the loud cry of the women.....when they looked through the bushes....the sight was horrible as those men burnt them alive.....
Smoke was present all over the place.....
Ruqaiya's eyes filled with tears seeing them....but more than that she was real mad and hit her hand hard.....

An arrow hit the other one too....
Ruqaiya looked in the direction to see some of those men surrounded her too.....
It was the early hours....

One among them grabbed her hair from back and other her hands....
She winced in pain....
They pushed her down and she was hit by the rock with her head bleeding....
She turned and within no time the guy took away her dupatta.....
She resisted  and screamed.....
When one among them started to approach her she throwed sand in their faces and started to run.....

They were chasing her and it started to rain....ruqaiya was heavily bleeding and with all her might she ran....
Finally she reached the edge of the cliff.....
She turned back to see if they are coming....an arrow right away hit her chest and she fell down in the river....
Those men witnessed this and came to the location....
The arrow was hit by the same chadar clad woman...they bow down in front of her in respect...
As it was heavily raining, there was no witness of ruqaiya....

It was morning, and drizzling in Agra.....
*in madam's chamber*
Zarina came to maham and says," begum sahiba! Aapke liye ek peghaam Aya Hai!"
Maham looks at her direction....
Zarina shows  a wounded dead  dove bird covered in blood....
Maham laughs hysterically looking at it...

*in harkha's  chamber*
He was moving in his sleep....sweating. ..and woke up suddenly.....he looks around and sighs in relief....
Harkha was sleeping next to him.....
He thought,' let this be a nightmare only'

The emperor was walking towards the fountain and found no signs of movement in ruqaiya's chamber....
Curious, he entered and found no one...
Moti Bai sees this from afar and informs salima begum about this....
Salima begum comes in followed by Moti....
The emperor asks her," the chamber is empty, salima,where is ruqaiya?"
Then she narrates how hamida bano convinced ruqaiya to depart....

Enraged by the happenings,he stormed out of the place to his mother's chamber,to question    her doings....

*in hamida's chamber*
Both mother and son had a long argument....just then maham anga enters....
She starts," khuda ka Shukr Hai ki aap yahaan Hai shehensha!"
The emperor asks," why what happened?"
Maham keeps a sad face and says," a maid had come,my king,the one who went in the service of ruqaiya begum in the caravan"
He and his mother were confused.
He says," but you told that she left 4 days back?....call her"
The maid appears ( the one who was shot with the arrow earlier)....
She starts to narrate the happenings( muted to the audience🫣),which boils the blood of the emperor......

He asks," do you realise what are u telling? U will get severe punishment if any of these are false!"
The maid says," I can give my life to prove my loyalty, shehensha!"

There were a lot of emotions gushing inside him as he heard the maid's story.....he was angry,confused and felt betrayed.....

Guys,plz drop your reviews in the comments section as they are valuable to me....
And also suggestions....

Until then,
Always ❤️