16.

As the days turned into weeks, the baby remained unnamed, a tiny but significant detail that weighed heavily on Autumn's mind. She found herself becoming more emotional and clingy at home, her connection to Winter deepening as he became her anchor in the storm of her emotions. Harlow, now growing more independent, started her first days at daycare. The transition was bittersweet for Autumn, who had always been protective of her daughter. Dropping Harlow off at the daycare felt like letting go of a piece of herself, even if just for a few hours each day. Charlotte, one of the caregivers, promised to look after Harlow, which gave Autumn a sliver of comfort, but it didn't ease the ache in her heart entirely.

At home, Winter found himself bonding more with their unnamed baby. The initial shock and confusion surrounding her birth had slowly given way to a deep love and connection. Winter spent hours holding her, feeding her, and talking to her in soft, reassuring tones. The baby seemed to recognize his voice, her tiny fingers curling around his as he whispered to her. Each day, he grew closer to her, finding joy and purpose in their bond. Autumn, on the other hand, continued to struggle. While she loved her baby, the emotional toll of everything that had happened left her feeling overwhelmed. She clung to Winter whenever he was home, her anxiety rising whenever he had to leave her side. Her mood swings were intense, and she often found herself crying for no apparent reason, the tears coming unbidden and unstoppable.

Winter noticed her struggles and did his best to support her, but it was clear that Autumn was still processing everything. He knew she needed time, and he was determined to be patient, offering her comfort and understanding whenever she needed it. As the baby remained nameless, Autumn and Winter continued to search for the right name, something that felt perfect for their little girl. But for now, they were content with simply being together, finding solace in each other's presence as they navigated the challenges of their new reality.

 One evening, after a long day of caring for their children, Autumn found herself seeking the comfort of Winter's presence. With both Harlow and their unnamed baby finally asleep, the house was wrapped in a rare, peaceful quiet. Autumn slipped into the bedroom where Winter was lying down, and without a word, she curled up beside him, resting her head on his chest. Winter wrapped his arm around her, pulling her close. The steady rhythm of his breathing and the warmth of his embrace helped soothe the lingering anxiety that had been gnawing at Autumn all day. After a few moments of silence, Autumn spoke softly, her voice filled with the vulnerability she only allowed herself to show around Winter. 

"I've been thinking... about a name for her."

Winter tilted his head slightly to look at her, his fingers gently brushing through her hair. "What have you been thinking?"

Autumn hesitated, then took a deep breath. "What about... Mayella? It feels right. Like it belongs to her."

Winter repeated the name, letting it settle in the air. "Mayella," he said with a soft smile. "It's beautiful, Autumn. It suits her perfectly."

Autumn looked up at him, a small smile playing on her lips. "It just... came to me. I can't explain it, but when I think of her, I think of Mayella."

Winter leaned down and kissed her forehead. "Then Mayella it is. Our little Mayella."

The name felt like a small but significant step forward for Autumn, a way of embracing the new life they had unexpectedly welcomed into their family. As they lay there, holding each other close, they both felt a sense of peace settle over them. For the first time in what felt like a long time, everything seemed to be falling into place. Mayella was now a part of their family, not just in their hearts but in name as well. Late one night, as the house was wrapped in the stillness of sleep, Autumn was suddenly jolted awake by the sound of Mayella coughing. The sound was sharp and persistent, cutting through the quiet like a knife. Autumn's heart raced as she quickly sat up, her eyes darting to the crib where Mayella lay.

Winter stirred beside her, instantly alert as he heard the distress in their baby's cough. "Autumn, what's wrong?" he asked, his voice thick with concern.

"It's Mayella," Autumn whispered, panic rising in her chest as she leaned over to pick up their daughter. Mayella's tiny body shook with each cough, her breathing labored. Autumn could feel the fear gripping her, tightening around her heart.

"We need to get her to the ER," Autumn said, her voice trembling as she tried to remain calm. "Winter, we need to go now."

Winter was already out of bed, grabbing his phone to call Marjorie and Reece. "I'll get Marjorie to come over and stay with Harlow," he said, trying to keep his voice steady for Autumn's sake. "We'll be out the door in a minute."

While Winter made the call, Autumn cradled Mayella close, whispering soothing words even as her own fear threatened to overwhelm her. The baby's coughs were growing more frequent, and Autumn could feel the tension in her tiny body.

Within minutes, Marjorie and Reece arrived, both looking concerned but composed. "We'll take care of Harlow," Marjorie assured them, her voice calm and steady. "You just focus on Mayella."Autumn nodded, her eyes filled with gratitude and worry. "Thank you," she managed to say, before hurrying out the door with Winter, Mayella bundled in her arms.

The drive to the ER felt like an eternity. Every cough from Mayella made Autumn's heart ache with fear. Winter kept one hand on the steering wheel, the other resting on Autumn's knee, trying to offer what little comfort he could. When they finally arrived at the ER, they rushed inside, explaining the situation to the triage nurse. Within moments, they were ushered into a room, where a pediatrician quickly took over, examining Mayella with a focused intensity.Autumn held her breath as the doctor worked, every second stretching into an eternity. She clung to Winter's hand, her anxiety mounting with each passing moment.

 "Please, let her be okay," she whispered, her voice breaking.

Winter squeezed her hand, his own fear masked by a calm exterior. "She's in good hands, Autumn," he reassured her, even as his heart pounded with worry. "She's strong, just like her mother."

Autumn could only nod, her eyes never leaving Mayella's small, struggling form. They waited, every breath filled with dread, hoping for the best but fearing the worst. As the pediatrician continued to examine Mayella, Autumn's fear grew into an overwhelming tide that she couldn't hold back. Her breaths came in short, shaky gasps, and tears began streaming down her face uncontrollably. The sight of their tiny baby struggling was too much for her to bear.Autumn clung to Winter, her body trembling with fear and despair.

 "Winter, I'm so scared," she whispered, her voice breaking as she buried her face in his chest. "What if something happens to her? I can't... I can't lose her."

Winter wrapped his arms around her tightly, pulling her as close as possible. He could feel her shaking, her sobs wracking her body as she desperately tried to hold on to some sense of control. 

"Shh, Autumn, I'm here," he whispered, his voice steady but filled with concern. "We're going to get through this. She's going to be okay. I promise."

But Autumn couldn't stop crying, her fear for Mayella consuming her completely. "I can't... I can't lose her," she repeated, her words muffled against Winter's chest. "Please, Winter... I'm so scared."

Winter held her even tighter, his heart breaking at the sight of her in so much pain. He stroked her hair, trying to calm her, but nothing seemed to reach her in this moment of sheer panic. "She's going to be okay," he whispered, more to himself than to her. "She has to be."

Autumn's sobs continued, and Winter could feel how utterly inconsolable she was. He could only hold her, offering his presence as her anchor in the storm of her emotions. The world outside seemed to disappear, leaving only the two of them and the desperate hope that their baby would pull through. Minutes felt like hours as they waited, Autumn unable to find any solace except in the strength of Winter's embrace. He stayed with her, his arms around her, refusing to let go as they faced the uncertainty together.