17.

Winter continued to hold Autumn close, gently rocking her side to side as they absorbed the nurse's reassuring words. "Mr. and Mrs. Fortune-Knight," the nurse repeated, her voice warm and calm, "Mayella is going to be fine. She just has asthma, which she's inherited from her mother. We'll help you manage it with the right medication."

Autumn slowly began to calm down, her breath still shaky but more even as the relief started to settle in. She looked up at Winter, her eyes still filled with tears but now holding a glimmer of hope.

Winter kissed the top of her head, whispering softly, "She's going to be okay, Autumn. We'll get through this together."

Autumn nodded, leaning into him as the reality of Mayella's condition sank in. It wasn't ideal, but it was manageable. Most importantly, their baby girl was going to be alright. Later that night, back at home, the weight of the evening began to settle in for Autumn. She sat on the edge of the bed, staring at the floor, her thoughts swirling with guilt. Winter, sensing her unease, sat down beside her, wrapping his arm around her shoulders.

"It's my fault," Autumn whispered, her voice trembling as she spoke. "The asthma... she got it from me. I did this to her."

"Autumn, no," Winter said softly, pulling her closer. "It's not your fault. You didn't do anything wrong."

But Autumn shook her head, the guilt gnawing at her. "She's going to struggle because of me. What if she has a terrible time with it? What if she's always sick?" Her breathing grew more rapid as the thoughts took hold, spiraling into a panic.

Winter could feel her tensing up, and he tried to soothe her, rubbing her back gently. "Autumn, it's not your fault," he repeated, his voice firm but gentle. "We'll make sure she's okay. We'll manage it together."

But Autumn couldn't shake the feeling of guilt, her mind racing with worst-case scenarios. Her breaths became quicker, more shallow, and she began to feel lightheaded. Winter noticed the change in her breathing and realized she was on the verge of a panic attack.

"Autumn, take a deep breath," he urged, his own anxiety rising as he tried to calm her. "In and out, nice and slow."

But Autumn couldn't focus, her chest tightening as the panic overwhelmed her. Tears streamed down her face, her body trembling uncontrollably.

"Hold on, I'll get you some water," Winter said quickly, standing up and heading toward the kitchen. He hated leaving her, even for a moment, but he knew she needed something to help ground her.

As he reached the kitchen, Autumn's panic intensified. Her breathing became even more erratic, and she started coughing violently, her throat tightening. The room spun around her, and before she could call out to Winter, everything went black. She slumped forward, unconscious.Winter returned with the water, only to find Autumn collapsed on the floor. His heart stopped as he rushed to her side, dropping the glass and pulling her into his arms. "Autumn! Autumn, can you hear me?" he called, his voice laced with fear.

He gently shook her, trying to wake her, his own heart racing. When she didn't respond, he quickly checked her pulse, relieved to find it, but still terrified by the sight of her so unresponsive. Without wasting another second, he reached for his phone to call for help, his hands shaking as he dialed Reece. He knew that she needed Reece. Winter, his heart pounding with fear, grabbed his phone and called Reece instead of an ambulance. He knew Autumn's condition wasn't life-threatening, but she needed someone who could reach her emotionally, and that person was her brother.

The phone rang only once before Reece picked up, his voice groggy from sleep. "Winter? What's going on?"

"It's Autumn," Winter said quickly, trying to keep his voice steady. "She had a panic attack and passed out. I think she just needs you, Reece. I'm here, but I'm taking care of the twins, and I can't do this alone right now."

"I'll be right there," Reece replied without hesitation, his voice filled with concern. The call ended abruptly as Reece rushed to get ready.

Winter returned to the twins, who had started to stir, their little cries filling the room. He did his best to calm them, all while keeping an ear out for any sign of Autumn waking up. His anxiety was palpable, but he knew he had to stay strong for her and their babies. It wasn't long before Reece arrived, bursting through the front door with a mix of panic and determination. Winter pointed him toward the bedroom where Autumn lay on the floor, still unconscious but breathing steadily.

Reece knelt down beside her, gently placing a hand on her shoulder. "Autumn, it's me, Reece. Wake up, sis," he said softly, his voice full of warmth and familiarity.

Autumn stirred slightly, her eyelids fluttering open. The moment she saw Reece, tears welled up in her eyes, and she instantly threw herself into his arms, sobbing uncontrollably. "Reece," she choked out, her voice raw with emotion. "I'm so sorry... I'm so sorry..."

"Shh, it's okay," Reece whispered, holding her tightly. "You don't have to be sorry for anything. I'm here, Autumn. I've got you."

Autumn clung to her brother, her sobs shaking her entire body as she let out all the fear and guilt that had been weighing on her. Reece held her close, his hand gently stroking her hair as he whispered soothing words, doing everything he could to comfort her. Winter, having finally settled the twins, stood in the doorway watching, his heart aching for Autumn. He knew she needed this moment with Reece, someone who had been her rock for so long. Seeing her find some comfort in her brother's arms eased the knot of anxiety in his chest, even if just a little.Reece continued to hold Autumn, not letting go as she cried out the last of her panic and fear. He could feel her slowly calming down, her breathing becoming less ragged as she took comfort in his presence.