4. on the roof

Lotties POV

*Two days later*

I've been at the school for two days now and I hated it. It was so boring and all the teachers had no sense of humour.

I was still yet to make any friends but I didn't really mind because I hated everyone in this place. Well that's technically a lie, I didn't hate everyone.

I'd only seen Billie a couple of times in the last two days. We had another English class together then he waved at me when I was at my locker. I was too nervous to talk to him more so I had to enjoy staring at him whenever he walked past.

Yesterday I discovered the beauty of the roof of the parking garage. I was at lunch and there were no tables available and I was not about to sit with some random strangers.

So I made the choice that today I was going to skip lunch and head straight to the roof. It was easy to climb up thanks to some carefully placed bricks and some good arm muscles.

I was smoking my cigarette, a bad habit I discovered aged 14, when I heard a noise on the other side of the roof. I froze, not sure whether it was a teacher or another student, none of which I'd be particularly happy to see.

Luckily I was hidden by an air vent as I looked around it and saw none other than Billie Joe. I watched him as he sat down and dangled his feet over the edge of the roof, unsure whether to actually say something or not but as the time went on, I knew that if I said anything it would be weird because I've been hidden for a while.

I carried on smoking my cigarette until I had the urge to cough. I tried to be discrete and I thought I was until I saw a shadow hovering over me.

Billies POV

I decided to go up to the roof to get away from lunch. The food was terrible and it was always so busy that you could never get a seat unless you wanted to sit with 20 other students and I wasn't in the mood to deal with it. I'd come to the roof very often to smoke and have some alone time. I pulled out my cigarette from my pocket and felt around for my matches but I came up empty. I was now in an even worse mood because it meant I couldn't smoke because I couldn't be bothered walking all the way to my locker again. Noone had come up here ever so I assumed I was the only one to come here until I heard someone cough. It made me jump out of my skin and I almost fell off the roof. I decided to be brave and find out who or what made the noise. I stood up and walked over to the air vent and looked around it to find the most beautiful girl I'd ever seen. I'd only known her for a couple of days, spoke to her only a few times but I felt like she could really be someone I needed in my life, I was just drawn to her. She looked scared for a second until she looked up at me.

"Lottie? What are you doing here?"

"Same thing as you"

She held up her half smoked cigarette as she laughed. She eventually stood up and walked with me back to my original place at the edge of the roof, luckily it was shielded from any cameras. I sat back down and she sat next to me and I shuffled closer to her as discreetly as I could. We sat in silence for a few minutes before I decided to try and break the ice.

"Do you have a lighter?"

"Sure but, wait, how were you gonna light your cigarette if you don't have a lighter?"