Chapter 46: A Surrounded Castle

Embassy of the Republic of Italy, Lardin Avenue

Antonio could not believe what he just heard. After he was dragged out of his bed and into the main house of the embassy grounds, he sat alongside his aides and coworkers around the main meeting room's telephone. He then spoke in a panic, "So does that mean Parpaldia is at war with us!?"

"By technicality, yes ambassador," Giovanni said through the phone. "It is likely however that Arde has launched a coup against Ludius but we haven't confirmed from neither him, nor Remille. Right now you guys need to evacuate the embassy."

One of the staff members, who stood by the window, looked through the blinds before she turned around, "I... think it's too late for that."

Antonio went wide eyed as he and a few others stood from their seats. They approached the windows and peeked through the blinds to see Parpaldian soldiers surrounding them, even having cannons aimed directly at the building. Antonio gulped as Giovanni spoke, "Mister Catalano? What's going on?"

Antonio rushed back to the telephone and spoke in haste, "There are soldiers surrounding the embassy grounds, sir! We're too late, I don't think we can leave!"

"Damn! Umm-" Giovanni said in a panic, "Okay, ambassador, you and your colleagues and their families need to hunker down, asap. Are they attacking?"

"I don't think so," Antonio said, "If they were they would have shot their cannons by now."

"Okay, get your guards and anyone else who can fight to fortify the grounds. I'll update you on what's gonna happen next, alright?"

"Alright prime minister. Good luck," Antonio said. "Well you heard the man let's get this place on lockdown!"

...

Antonio grunted as he lifted the table up to the window and grabbed a hammer nearby, "Keep it steady for me," he said. Holding a nail, he then started to hammer the table in place against the window as he continued to sweat bullets at the situation.

Outside, Enzo then parked the last car he could get from the parking lot as he stopped it in front of the main gate itself. The front yard of the former manor was quickly turned into makeshift fortifications as he hopped out and looked around. Whatever they could use as cover was placed onto the yard for their guards to take position. Couches, coffee tables, cupboards, no furniture was spared for its new role as either a barrier or a barricade.

Enzo stared down at the main leader of the Parpaldian soldiers. An old man on a horse who glared right back at the embassy's head secretary. He scoffed off but just as he was about to head inside, the Parpaldian called out.

"You there!"

Enzo's back faced the Parpaldian captain for a good while. He wondered if he should just walk back inside, but seeing this could be a path for dialogue, he relented. Enzo then turned back around, adjusting his glasses as he slowly and cautiously approached the iron bar fence.

The captain spoke, "Are you the ambassador?"

"No," Enzo said. "I'm the secretary of the ambassador."

"Right...," The captain simply muttered before he cleared his throat. "We demand that you and your men surrender, peacefully, and I'm certain that nobody needs to get even the slightest scratch in this standoff."

Enzo looked to the captain. His tone seemed almost diplomatic in a way. Unlike the message Arde gave, this captain's voice appeared more hesitant, "Now why would we do that?"

The old man huffed, "To ensure no bloodshed shall reach neither side, young man. That's all we ask."

Enzo shook his head, "I don't think so, sir... But if we're not gonna entertain your demands, I simply ask you entertain my question at least."