Chapter 6

As I open my eyes, the vibrant world of Cyberia snaps into focus. Standing beside me, Emma's eyes are wide with wonder, her hands clutched in excitement. "Wow," she breathes, turning in a slow circle. "I can't believe it—everything feels so real!" Morgan, grinning at Emma's amazement, gives me a knowing glance, sharing her enthusiasm.

"Yeah, it's pretty incredible," Morgan says, smiling at Emma's excitement. But then her smile fades slightly, and her tone becomes more cautious. "Just remember, it's not all fun and games. You can feel pain here too, so stay close to us."

"Okay, I will!", Emma says, struggling to hold in her excitement.

The three of us fall into step, moving as one as Emma's wide-eyed gaze sweeps over the vast landscape. Her youthful curiosity is palpable, her eyes gleaming with the thrill of possibilities as she imagines the adventures that await her. Watching her, I'm reminded of my own first glimpse of Cyberia—the awe, the excitement, and the sense that anything was possible. The memory tugs at me, pulling me back to that moment...

"Oh my god," I heard Morgan say next to me. I turned to my right to see her silvery gaze sweeping over Cyberia. "I can't believe this. It looks so real!"

"I can't believe it either," I said in disbelief, my hazel eyes taking in the futuristic architecture.

"Luke?" Morgan called out looking at me, confusion in her voice. "Why is there a blinking light above my head?" she asked, concern creeping in.

As if on cue, a blinking light flickered into view above me, its bright blue glow searing into my vision. I squinted, trying to ease the strain, and glanced down at the ground. The cool gray of the walking path shifted into a deep ocean blue, the transition almost mesmerizing.

"Did you see that?" I asked, looking over at Morgan.

"Yeah, I did," she responded. "I think it might be a path. Look." She pointed toward the path as it snaked into the large, intimidating building. "I think it wants us to go in there."

As Morgan and I mulled over our situation, a monotone voice snapped us out of our thoughts. "Hello there!"

We turned to find a man standing slightly behind us, his expression calm with a friendly smile. He was dressed in a crisp white dress shirt paired with a neatly knotted black tie. Draped over his formal attire was a pristine lab coat, the only marking on it an ominous-looking "VT" stitched onto the right breast pocket. His sharp, intelligent eyes regarded us with interest, framed by slightly graying hair that hinted at both experience and authority. It didn't take much to sense that this man was someone important—someone we should pay attention to.

"You two must be new here," the man said, a grin forming at the corner of his lips.

"How did you know?" I asked, confused.

"The blinking blue orb and those awestruck faces were a dead giveaway," he remarked with a chuckle, his tone both amused and welcoming. "I'm Dr. Sebastian Drake, but feel free to call me Dr. Drake." He extended his hand, offering a firm handshake as he met our eyes, a warm yet calculating smile playing on his lips.

"It's nice to meet you, Dr. Drake," Morgan responded. "I'm Morgan, and this is Luke."

"It's great to meet you both," Drake replied. "I always love it when new players join Cyberia. It makes our little community here stronger."

I looked out to see the hundreds of players wandering around this bustling central area that I now knew as the Town Hall. "Little community?" I asked sarcastically with a chuckle.

Drake's chuckle at my response was warm and infectious, a sound that quickly drew a smile from both Morgan and me. Without even realizing it, we found ourselves joining in, the tension easing as his laughter filled the air.