Chapter 2

As quickly as the starry vision and weightlessness sensations came, they vanished just as quickly. I feel my body begin to ground itself again as my head starts to regain its senses. The sounds of lively chatter fill my ears. My senses are further triggered by a new warmth kissing my skin. I open my eyes, at first blinded by the vast neon colors, but as my vision adjusts, I welcome the familiar sight.

As I step out of my pod and into the world of Cyberia, the sky above me isn't just a sky—it's a living canvas, constantly shifting and changing. During the day, the warm orange glow of the sun fills the digital canvas of this world, embracing its players in its gradient glow. At night, constellations form and dissolve, like they're being painted and erased by some unseen hand, or maybe by the collective thoughts of the players in this world. The ground beneath my feet feels solid, yet there's a strange fluidity to it, as if it's responding to my every step. It's both comforting and surreal, a perfect blend of reality and the fantastical.

I look around, and the buildings here defy everything I know about architecture. One tower spirals endlessly upward, as if gravity has no hold on it, while another pulses with energy, its structure constantly rewriting itself, like the code is still being formed right before my eyes. The metallic surfaces of these structures catch the neon lights that flicker in the air, creating a mesmerizing dance of colors that make everything feel so alive.

Directly in front of me is the center of it all, the Town Hall. It's a stunning architectural marvel, standing as the heart of this digital world. The design is a perfect blend of classical grandeur and futuristic innovation, making it both a beacon of tradition and a symbol of limitless possibilities. It's impossible to look away, as if it's drawing me in with its sheer presence.

The streets around me are filled with other players. When you first think of a game like this, you would half-expect them to look somewhat distorted, like something out of a dream, but they don't. Each player is so detailed and lifelike that I could easily mistake them for real people. It's like we've all been transported here, our real-world attire perfectly replicated, with the only differences being the mythical items some players have acquired during their time in the game. I watch as a group of adventurers huddles under a floating platform, their eyes scanning the horizon, ready for their next quest. There's an intensity to their focus that makes this world feel even more real.

Everywhere I look, there are subtle hints that this place isn't just another world but a creation of pure code. Holographic displays hover in the air, flickering slightly, as if reminding me that this reality is built on data. The city hums with energy, a constant, rhythmic pulse that I can feel deep in my bones. It's like the very air here is charged with the flow of information, and I can't help but be drawn deeper into it, eager to explore every corner of this incredible digital universe.

My admiration of Cyberia gets interrupted when I hear a familiar male voice behind me.

"Oh my god..." Grayson breathes, his eyes wide as he takes in the sight of Cyberia for the first time.

"Impressive, isn't it?" I say with a grin, unable to hide the pride in my voice.

Morgan's gaze softens as she looks at me, her eyes reflecting a mix of admiration and something else I can't quite place.

"There are so many people here," Grayson says. "They all can't be from West Valley."

"I don't think any of them are," I say, glancing toward a group of players talking with one another. "As far as we know, the three of us are the only people from our school."

"Wait..." Grayson starts to say, but before he can ask any more questions, he begins to act strange. He frantically looks around as if he's searching for something on the walking path. "Uh, guys, why did the path just turn blue?"