Chapter 10

The town hall arena buzzes with the frantic energy of chaos. The final moments of the Capture the Flag game have left the once vibrant space in disarray. Players, who just moments ago were locked in fierce competition, now gather in uneasy clusters, their anxious murmurs filling the air. The previously upbeat and electrifying atmosphere of Cyberia now feels muted, the digital landscape mirroring the confusion and uncertainty etched on their faces.

I watch as Morgan navigates through the sea of players, her urgency mirrored in the quickened pace of her steps, her heart likely pounding. As I follow alongside her, my eyes dart around, scanning the growing crowd for any sign of what went wrong. The tension is palpable, an electric current of fear and frustration rippling through the gathered players.

"Luke, we need to find out what's going on," Morgan urges, her voice tight with concern. "The attack was definitely not part of the game. Something's seriously wrong."

I nod, my jaw set with determination. My mind drifts back to the figure I glimpsed before leaving the arena, its terrifying presence haunting my thoughts. As we continue to move through the sea of players, we enter the main atrium of the Town Hall. The usual lively chatter of players is replaced by a cacophony of voices, all demanding answers. The players' faces are a mix of shock and anger, their characters mimicking the emotions of our real-life bodies.

Shortly behind us are Ian, Isla, and Grayson, still in shock from the events that just took place. That look of fear is a familiar companion, shared by everyone at this moment.

I look up to see Dr. Drake standing on the staircase in the center of the room, his presence a beacon for answers. Surely he knows what's going on, I think to myself.

My thoughts are interrupted as Morgan gasps loudly. I look up to see Emma standing in the vast ocean of players. Emma's green eyes meet the silvery gaze of her sister as she makes her way to us. The orb pulsing in her pendant shifts erratically from anxious blue to an uneasy green.

"What are you doing here?!" Morgan demands, her voice laced with both assertiveness and a hint of fear.

"I... I came to watch you guys play Capture the Flag," Emma responds, her gaze breaking away from Morgan. "I was sitting in the stands watching you guys play. Suddenly, everyone just began screaming and running. I just followed the group of people here." Her orb flashes from queasy green to a deep blue.

"Do you know how reckless that was?" Morgan exclaims, her voice rising with a mix of fear and relief. "You don't even know how Cyberia works yet! You could've gotten hurt, especially with this attack!"

Morgan's expression softens slightly as she embraces her sister, holding her close. "Emma, you can't just jump into things like this. It's dangerous. Promise me you'll stay by my side from now on." Emma's orb shifts to a remorseful purple.

Emma pulls back slightly, her face flushed with a mix of defiance and regret. "I just wanted to see you in action, Morgan. I didn't mean for any of this to happen."

Ian, Isla, and Grayson finally catch up, witnessing Morgan's embrace of Emma.

Grayson looks at me, his usual confident and humorous demeanor replaced by obvious concern. "Luke, what's our move now?" he asks, his voice tense.

"We need to get out of here", I say with a slight uncertainty. "Its clearly not safe here. We don't even know what happened to those players."

As I talk to the group, I hear Dr. Drake's voice echo through the room, his authoritative presence commanding attention. "Everyone, please, remain calm," he says, his voice carrying over the anxious murmurs. "We are investigating the source of the attack. Rest assured, your safety is our top priority."