Love & Legacy

"Clark, it's not happening." I was giggling with him as we sat in the top of the tower on the east wing of the manor. It had been our usual spot to hang out and eat pizza for the past month. Now that the JLA was a thing I'd been seeing a lot more of everyone and Clark and I have really hit it off.

"Come on, just admit it, Superman is cooler than Batman." He kept gently nudging me as I ate my fourth slice of pizza.

"Nope, Batman is way cooler, something about the suit and cowl just does it for me." I smirked as I was about to take another bite, only to have Clark snatch it from my hand. "You can't take food from a pregnant lady, that's not fair."

"You Ruby are no lady. Admit I'm cooler or I'm not bringing you pizza anymore." Clark dangled the pizza above me as I climbed onto him trying to grab it. "Say it."

"Never, give me the pizza." I continued my playful assault until the unthinkable happened.

Before I knew it, before I could react, Clark's lips were on mine. I did my best to pull away, but I heard the pizza hit the ground when I felt his arms wrap around me. He held me a moment before he finally let go, both of us were unsure how to react as we moved away from each other.

"Ruby, I'm so sorry, I don't know what that was." He sat there a minute before he wiped my lipstick from his face with one of the grease stained napkins. We were unable to make eye contact as we sat there. The breeze was coming up through the old open windows and echoing through the room which only made it worse.

"I'm like eight months pregnant with your friends baby, what the fuck Clark? I, we're friends, what the fuck is wrong with you?" I managed to get myself on my feet before slowly backing myself to the door that led back down the tower.

"Ruby please, I don't know why I did that." Clark's pleas were in vain, I wasn't listening as I went down the steps, his voice was fading into the wind with every step I took, almost like a ghost haunting this place.

He's been my friend for months now, he's been there when Bruce was busy, or if I needed help with something. He brings me my favorite pizza from metropolis, and this whole time I thought it was innocent. Maybe he got the wrong idea about Bruce and I because Caitlin is still sleeping in bed with me most nights, I don't know. I was half way back to the atrium to think when I heard footsteps behind me.

"Fuck off, I don't want to hear it." I put my hands up as I marched through the doors into my sanctum trying to ignore him. At least if I hit him with something there's no chance I'll kill him, so my hand instinctively went to grab a nearby pot.

"Okay, what did I do this time?" I heard Bruce's voice right as I whipped around, luckily stopping myself before I threw it.

"I didn't realize it was you, sorry Bruce. What did you need?" I sighed setting the pot back down as he slowly approached me.

"Did something happen with you and Caitlin?" His question was clearly based on my smeared lipstick as he gestured, it never even occurred to me that I should've fixed it, that it would be smeared.

"No, just, can we not talk about it?" Slowly he wrapped his arms around me pulling me up against his chest. I was only there a moment before I heard Caitlin's heels clicking on the marble floor.

"So uh, cats out of the bag about our little arrangement, Clark walked in on me and Ruby in a compromising position." I pulled away to see Caitlyn with traces of my lipstick on her face. Clark must've gotten to her to try and save things with Bruce. "I think I've got him mostly convinced you knew about it, and were usually involved in it, but it was pretty ugly."

"He didn't have to call you a home wrecker and he definitely didn't need to accuse me of sleeping with Jason too. That was just plain disgusting." I knew Clark was listening, and I knew I could get away with making him look like an asshole so I could avoid him.